Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: Scale segment or array to bigger size than spline segment  (Read 494 times)

DT

Scale segment or array to bigger size than spline segment
« on: December 07, 2022, 10:27:05 AM »
I'd like to extend a RailClone fence preset with a gate that adjusts to the size a spline segment with ID = 2. I already succeeded in creating the supporting profiles for the gate to slide through, by just moving the segments.

In short I would like this gate to be bigger than the spline segment (for instance 300 cm bigger and 200 cm to the left, and 100 cm to the right (but adjustable), so it goes through these profiles. Ideally I would like the gate to be another 1S Linear Array, so it doesn't scale the gate but constructs it out of a start, default and end segment, and a seperate evenly for the bars. But I can't find a way to tell RailClone the additional length of the segment and to use it to construct an array.

Please help

Paul Roberts

• iToo Software
Re: Scale segment or array to bigger size than spline segment
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2022, 12:30:44 PM »
Hi,

Thanks for the interesting question. Please see the attached file for a possible solution.

I've used the Limit by Material ID feature as you suggest, but combined it with a nested generator. This will allow you to use an expression to find the length of the spline segment, and then adjust the value before wiring it to the X Size parameter of the nested generator.

I hope it helps, please let me know if you have any questions about the file.

Best,

Paul
Paul Roberts
iToo Software

DT

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2022, 06:50:58 PM »
Thanks very much for the speedy reply as usual Paul. I'm checking it out as we speak!

DT

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2022, 07:47:35 PM »
Hi Paul,

So it's a little more complex, and I tried with the information you gave me but I can't seem to make it work, even when splitting up in different generators and changing new expressions to make it work with the other generators. Maybe I'm making it too complex for it too work. But so the problem is that the gate is going to be larger than the start and ending points, ideally the size of the gate is just the result of the start and end points PLUS some more (to define myself with a numeric value or something).

To generate the gate in the picture 1 have 2 L1S, one with the start, end and default segments, and 1 L1S for the bars in an evenly.

Paul Roberts

• iToo Software
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2022, 09:45:43 AM »
Hi,

Sorry I didn't spot your reply. Would you be able to send the file to helpdesk@itoosoft.com? I can reply to you there, but I also think this is an interesting case that would benefit others so with your permission I'd like to include any solution we come up with in one of our live streams.

Thanks!

Paul
Paul Roberts
iToo Software

DT

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2022, 11:06:27 AM »
Hi Paul,

I've sent you an email. Thank you.