Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: Marker on "Extend X/Y Size Area" mode  (Read 811 times)

Dragan

Marker on "Extend X/Y Size Area" mode
« on: August 04, 2021, 05:26:01 PM »
Hi.
I`m creating numerous generators all based on RC Spline markers.
I`m using just one Marker per Spline/Subspline placed on the Start so in L1S everything is working just fine even without connecting a Null node to Marker input.
So those Markers are acting like an additional parameter list that can be used when the RC spline is applied.

Now I have few issues:
1. MarkerData are not working with Main Generators Parameters so I have to double the Generator and have one more nesting to make it work.
Any chance to have this possible in upcoming updates?

2. I know it is not possible right now and there is no logic in using Markers on "Extend X/Y Size Area" mode but I`m thinking to place only one per Spline/Closed SubSplines and use it for additional Parameters data that can be controlled for closed SubSplines.
I tried with nesting trick Main Generator on Extended mode and Nested on X/Y Size extracted from Main Generator but no lack.

Any idea for some Workaround?
tnx

Paul Roberts

• iToo Software
Re: Marker on "Extend X/Y Size Area" mode
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2021, 04:05:08 PM »
Hi Dragan,

Thanks again for the useful suggestions. I will pass them on to our development team. The issue with Marker data now working with Generators is a bigger issue to do with the fact that many of the Generator's properties are evaluated only once at the start of the build. This means they can't be adjusted per sub-spline. It would probably take some deep changes to make it work.

Cheers,
Paul

Paul Roberts
iToo Software

Dragan

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2021, 04:51:51 PM »
Hi Paul
Thank you for your quick reply. I agree and I can understand the Issue.
But it also crosses my mind:
If many of the Generator's properties are evaluated only once at the start of the build, then If I do some nesting could I  be caught in some unnecessary evaluation/calculation/loops since I`m nesting Generators just to pass some of those "limitations" and that can cost me time.
I noticed some huge time-dependent properties like "Expand percentage" (Of course I can guess why (expanding whole clipping spline and making more segments outside) but sometimes I need to rearrange a big part of the Style to avoid those properties to get on speed even though it will be much simpler just to use Expand).
At the moment I have a serious client that has legitimate demand for speed based on his workflow.
However, we already changed some of our workflows to avoid those possible issues but I hope some updates or RC5 will come soon...  ;)

Best Regards
Dragan

P.S.
After reading the post it seems like RC is full of limitations and worth nothing  ;D ;D ;D :D :D :D  ::)   Keep up the good work!!!
« Last Edit: August 06, 2021, 07:37:48 AM by Dragan »

Dragan

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2021, 11:34:06 AM »
Just a thought...
I was thinking about only "The One Marker" workflow.
How about making One Master Marker having the option to influence on Generators Parameters.
My new (BIG  8)) client can have huge benefits out of the RC Spline Markers based on his current pipeline.
I`m placing only one marker at the start of each SubSpline (Rokas  ;)  create me a nice Script, thx) and then use User_Data to set different setups per each SubSpline, and it works great. Nice workflow, a lot of freedom.
However, for the most simple task like Y offset, I have to find workarounds to use RC Spline but, even then adjusting corners with all nested generators sometimes can be very difficult. A cant use Markers in Extended X/Y mode etc...
You guys make a huge impact with RC Spline workflow and it will be great if you can make a "little" step beyond.

Best Regards

Paul Roberts

• iToo Software
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2021, 12:12:32 PM »
Hi Dragan,

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm not sure I understand. How would one master marker that affects all sub splines differ from just exporting the values and setting them from the parameters rollout. Unless I'm misunderstanding, in both cases you need to have separate RC objects if you need different settings?

Another approach might be to use the Master style option which would allow you to have a central style saved in once RailClone object, with many other RC styles that reference it but with their own overridden settings. 

Cheers,
Paul
Paul Roberts
iToo Software

Dragan

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2021, 12:36:38 PM »
Well,
With RC SPline Marker we could "access" each SubSpline individually with different parameters values and everything will still work in one RC object.
Compete pipeline is on a very large scale and as I understand some special scripting will be involved. etc.
So, it will not be easy to keep track of many mastered RC Objects.
The main issue is how to have many different parameters based on SubSpline. For now, I could only use MatID, Vertex Count, SubSpline Count, and maybe some more. But even then I will need a bunch of prepared presets to select from.
RC Spline markers are the best solution for us if only can be applied on root Generators.

« Last Edit: August 12, 2021, 12:42:30 PM by Dragan »

Paul Roberts

• iToo Software
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2021, 02:12:07 PM »
OK - understood. I'm passing this all on to our development team, but as you know due to the complexity of what's required to implement some of these changes I can't make any promises in the short term.

Thanks for all the suggestions though, It's really helpful for us to understand how people want to use RailClone in larger pipelines.

All the best,
Paul
Paul Roberts
iToo Software