Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: motion blur, corona and instancing  (Read 607 times)

BL1796

motion blur, corona and instancing
« on: November 17, 2022, 11:48:54 PM »
Hi there,

Are there any plans (or is there already a way) to add motion blur to railclone objects while using corona (and maintaining instancing).

I am animating high poly cars along a road- if I turn instancing engine off it's way too heavy and the object won't run.

Thanks!

iToo

• Administrator
    • iToo Software
Re: motion blur, corona and instancing
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2022, 09:01:30 AM »
Hi,

In the current implementation, RailClone just provides the list of instances to Corona and it does the rendering.
I don't now what it's necessary to support motion blur. We must ask to the Corona team. Please give us some days to investigate it.

Carlos Quintero
iToo Software

BL1796

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2022, 05:48:52 PM »
Thanks, that would be really useful!

iToo

• Administrator
    • iToo Software
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2022, 12:05:34 PM »
I discussed this issue with the Corona team, but i'm afraid it would be very complex to support motion blur in RailClone, while maintaining instancing.

That requires some limitations, as the output instances and its topology doesn't change along the animation.
But we cannot assume that, because a single change in RailClone may generate a completely different result, both in the number of segments and their geometry.
Your case is very special, because really you are using RailClone as a scatter, but there is no simple way to detect this situation from others much more generic.

On the other hand, motion blur can achieved applying a mesh modifier to the RailClone object. Obviously that breaks instancing, but it may be useful in some cases.

Carlos Quintero
iToo Software