Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: colour variation  (Read 4862 times)

JTP Vis

colour variation
« on: July 17, 2014, 07:32:59 PM »
Is there a way of adding colour variation to objects within a railclone object, like you can in forest pack?

I am trying to create "Marshalls Tegular paving" and create a "random course" like you can find here http://www.marshalls.co.uk/homeowners/driveway-garden-laying-patterns/lp-0009.pdf and I'm trying to achieve varied material colour like here:

Do you have any ideas?

I have managed to get the block paviours to randomise, and therefore I can get something like the variation I require (see attached image) but can't seem to find any way of randomising the material colour.

Rokas

Re: colour variation
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2014, 09:25:44 PM »
if you are using scanline, Vray, Brazil or FinalRender, i would recommend free multitexture plugin.
I would be interested, how accurately recreate pattern visible in your example(not pdf, but jpg) . Anyone?
« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 10:03:12 PM by Rokas »
Rokas

JTP Vis

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2014, 10:07:29 AM »
Well yes, the jpeg linked in the post would indeed be a challenge as it isn't a linear randomization! I only put that in for the colour example really, but it would be a great challenge if someone could take it up.

I'm thinking of making 5 or 6 variations of materials in a multi-sub material, and then try and get a random mat id going in railclone.

The other thing I wanted to ask was how do you make this sort of pattern work on a non-planar surface, i.e. a terrain. Obviously I'm trying to make a private drive, and it is not coplanar at all.

Thanks to Rokas for your reply, but unfortunately I am using vRay (only unfortunate because your suggestion doesn't apply).

I really hope someone can help with this soon.

Cheers

Rokas

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2014, 10:53:42 AM »
vray is supported for this plugin. Definatly try it. It could offer unlimited color variations.

But if you want only six- it`s easy to do with multi/sub-Object material.
Prapare all those materials in multi/sub-object material, apply it to railclone object. and add Material node in railclone after before plugging to L2s generator
Rokas

Paul Roberts

• iToo Software
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2014, 10:57:55 AM »
Hi,

You may find the following parts of our documentation help you with this issue.

Using a  multi sub-object material and using the material node to randomise IDs should work fine for this example. You can find more information about the Material operator and how to use it in our documentation here. You might also find it helpful to look at the wooden floor styles in the default RailClone library to see an implementation of this technique.

If you would  like to use MultiTexture, Bercon Gradient or Crossmap, all of which should be compatible with V-Ray, you can find some information on that here.

Regarding the non-planar surface, the latest version of RailClone now supports the ability to "project" an array onto a surface, you can read about it here.

I hope that helps,

Many thanks,

Paul
« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 11:11:51 AM by Paul Roberts »
Paul Roberts
iToo Software

JTP Vis

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2014, 03:38:07 PM »
I thought I would let you see what we have done. See attached for the updated Tegula paving railclone, with a procedural v-ray material that is driven by a single colour picker. The colour variation is controlled by colour correction feeding into various noise maps. There are then 5 variants of the material feeding into one multi-sub-object material.

Cheers all for all your help.

Rokas

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2014, 05:26:34 PM »
I kind of want that in my library ;)
nicely done ;)
Rokas