Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: Multisubmaterial into another Multisubmaterial  (Read 4007 times)

hubmer3

Multisubmaterial into another Multisubmaterial
« on: September 14, 2016, 02:57:57 PM »
Hey,

i'm pretty new to RC and i could not get the following project work.

i have 4 bottles of vine  8) i managed it to scatter them along a spline  :P
but i dont get the random materials working like i would

there are 4 versions of the basematerial (multisubmaterial with 4 id's) which i dropped into another multisubmaterial
is there a way to randomize it that only the basematerials are scattered?

Thanks in advance!

Phil

Michal Karmazín

• iToo Software
Re: Multisubmaterial into another Multisubmaterial
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2016, 03:25:25 PM »
Hi Phil,

Please feel free to check the "4 - How to Control Material IDs and UVWs" chapter of our "Next Steps with RailClone" guide. The topic of Randomising and Sequencing Mat IDs is covered there in detail and you can find there several useful work-flows also for Randomising multiple IDs, Randomising by RailClone object, spline, spline section or segment and how To randomise materials on only a few segments in a multi-part.

As mentioned there: "The solution therefore is to make sure that the multi-sub texture's number of IDs is the same as the randomisation range of the material operator. So in this example we have 9 textures, you would need to create a Mult-Sub material with the non-randomised material in ID1 and the randomised material with the bitmap loader instanced into ID slots 2-10."

Hope that helps.

Best regards,

Terri Brown

• Terri Brown 3D
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2017, 04:09:09 PM »
Hi Mike,

I realise that this topic hasn't been used in a while, but it's relevant to the issue I'm experiencing. At least I think it is. I have read through the whole tutorial you mentioned, and as far as I can see it doesn't address what I'm struggling with. I may be missing something, but the issue I am having is that each segment I am using has itself a multi/sub-object mat assigned to it. So to create my RC material, I have a Parent multi sub mat with 8 slots, and each 'child' material slotted in is itself a multi sub material. (I am creating 8 different beauty product items...eg cologne and body lotion etc, that are being assigned to a RC library shelf using RC linear array).

So the problem is that when I render it seems like RC is getting confused re material IDs, as mat ID no. 1 is assigned to a few different things (not just one segment but for eg also the label on that segment and the spout on another segment)

I will post images to explain. The one render is the Railclone object with the material I described above assigned (image attached). Materials are all mixed up.
The other render with fewer bottles I just manually placed two instances of each bottle on a shelf for you to see how the materials SHOULD be rendering. Eg the eau de toilette bottle third from the right has a multi sub mat assigned to it consisting of 4 different materials.

I'm sure it's something quite obvious, but I just don't get it. I'm pretty sure I don't wire in a material operator as I don't want to randomise anything...just maintain the materials already assigned.

Thanks in advance,
Terri

Michal Karmazín

• iToo Software
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2017, 04:28:46 PM »
Hi Terri,

In case of having different materials applied to the source geometry, you'll need to create your own Multi/Sub-Object (not with"nested" Multi/Sub-Object materials), assigning a different material ID to each element and applying it to the whole RailClone object.

As mentioned in this related post on our forum: "I would suggest you to check the "Why do segments in RailClone ignore my Materials" article in our Knowledge Base (a recommendable way to create the Multi/Sub-Object material is to Attach all objects into a single mesh / Detach them)." Hope that helps.

Best regards,

Terri Brown

• Terri Brown 3D
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2017, 05:49:37 PM »
OK thanks Michael. Got you. I knew there was a problem with the nested multi subs. I will test what you suggested now. I have 25 slots now instead of 8.