Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: Nested RailClone Variables  (Read 1724 times)

IJ2087

Nested RailClone Variables
« on: November 02, 2016, 04:52:22 PM »
Apologies if this has been answered before.

I am creating a RailClone for creating building facades. I'd like to create 'Panel' RailClones for each of the panels in the facade, and then use these panels as segments in a 'Master' RailClone to generate the facade. I have created some variables for the 'Panel' Railclones (Slab thickness, door height, etc.) so I can adjust the panel's geometry. When I use these as segments in the 'Master' RailClone, there is no way to access the 'Panel' variables so that I can control heights globally. Is this a limitation of RailClone, or is there a way to access nested RailClone variables from within another RailClone?

Thanks.

Michal Karmazín

• iToo Software
Re: Nested RailClone Variables
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2016, 06:03:06 PM »
Hi,

I'm afraid, that's currently not possible to access parameters in the nested object, but there's a workaround by using 3ds max's Wire parameters tool. To be able to see such parameter listed, you'll need to add a key frame.

Attaching a sample scene showing this work-flow on one parameter, hope you'll find it useful.

Best regadrs,

IJ2087

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2016, 07:24:57 PM »
Interesting workaround! I'll look into it. Thanks.

Klonsemann

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2016, 12:05:54 PM »
Select the object you want to look for accessable properties and use "showproperties $" in MaxScriptListener (Shortcut F11) to get them listed.

eqko

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2016, 11:28:53 AM »
might it be an idea to add an output to linear1S/Array2S that can be plugged into a 1s/2s as segment ... myabe even add a convertToSegment node if need be ...

Michal Karmazín

• iToo Software
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2016, 11:48:13 AM »
Hi,

That would be handy for several scenarios, unfortunately, as posted in the "Vertical Array w/ Clipping Area for Floor Slabs" thread:

"We really would like to incorporate such feature - an Output for Generators (which can be treated as a Segment), but unfortunately there are several limitations due to the instancing power of RailClone. That doesn't mean, we discard this idea for future versions, if we find a feasible way to implement it. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like as something that can be implemented in a short time period. Thanks for your comprehension."

Best regards,