Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: Ghost tiles with clipping spline  (Read 1481 times)

Jahred

Ghost tiles with clipping spline
« on: April 22, 2016, 03:30:57 PM »
Hi,

I'm having a problem with clipping spline (extend X/Y size to area). The interior spline for hole incorrectly cut the tiles.

In fact, the interior spline create its own tiles and cut it correctly inside, not outside. I tried to limit the array to spline ID 1 : ID 1 for the exterior spline and 2 for the interior, with no luck.

The problem disappear if the length of the tile is shorter than the hole spline --> Not a real solution in my case. I have this problem with other railclone objects. Maybe I do something wrong ?

I'm already with Railclone 2.6.

Thank you in advance for your help !

Paul Roberts

• iToo Software
Re: Ghost tiles with clipping spline
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2016, 08:00:24 PM »
Hi,

Please find attached a fixed version of your file. The issue was with the large segments in the Left input, it appears they were not being clipped correctly. As a workaround I've added them to the default input instead, using a Sequence operator to make sure they appear only in the 1st column of the array.

I hope that helps, please let me know if you have any further questions.

Many Thanks,

Paul
Paul Roberts
iToo Software

Jahred

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2016, 02:44:22 PM »
Ty, it works!

But I have a second problem. This fix works only with tile mode : bug with the expand function, adaptive mode and z rotation.

1) I wanted to use the expand to cut properly my tiles before the shell modifier, but I can't use it (see my image for better explanation). For information, ghost tiles already appaer with 0.01%.

Update 24/04 : With an Optimize modifier (not ProOptimizer), the railclone object is cleaned before the shell and it works without mesh glitch. Good to know for simple segment,
problem solved.

2) I don't need adaptivity for the x axis. So no problem with the ghost tiles in adaptive mode, I'll go with tile mode.

However, I want to adjust my railclone in the y axis manually. But the extract of the y/xsplinelength doesn't work with clipping spline (arithmetic).

3) I use "z rotation" to turn my tiles by 90 degrees, and it works great if I stay perpendicular. So it's ok, I don't need oblique tiles. With 45 degrees, the bug shows that Railclone internally calculte its x/y length before cut it with the spline. Can we extract these values ?

I created a manual length variable as a workaround to adjust the gap between the tiles "automatically" (see my file). It isn't practical because I often modify my spline.

On a side note, can the rounding function in arithmetic operator choose average integer automatically ? 15,543 -> 16 // 15,436 -> 15. I think my nodes are uselessly too complicated.

Thank you for the speed of your last reply.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2016, 11:30:31 AM by Jahred »

Paul Roberts

• iToo Software
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2016, 04:10:18 PM »
Hi Jahred,

I think a lot of the problems in your post were due to RailClone disliking the spline. I recreated it and many of the issues , including using Expand and Z Rotate seems to be solved. To fix your spline I rotated it so that it was flat on the X/Y axis and then rest the XForm. Rotating it back into place afterwards and it seems to have fixed the issues. Please see the attached file

On a side note, can the rounding function in arithmetic operator choose average integer automatically ? 15,543 -> 16 // 15,436 -> 15
RailClone doesn't have a Round to Nearest function but you can use Modulo to create this effect.

if(mod(Input1,1)>0.5,Input1+(1-mod(Input1,1)),Input1-mod(Input1,1))

Finally the geometry problem you're seeing on the sliced ends of the places can be fixed by changing the Operate On mode from Tris to Quads. You'll find this option in the Style rollout.

I hope that helps, please let me know if you have any further questions.

Many Thanks,

Paul
Paul Roberts
iToo Software

Jahred

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2016, 09:46:02 PM »
Hi Paul,

Many Thanks, everything is working now !

I can reproduce the issue with your "Railclone to Surface" script. This script is invaluable for me, it saves a lot of time work.

Update : only if the surface is perpendicular to the ground. An issue with the axis, maybe ? I uploaded a screenshot.

In the near future, do you have any plans to implement this script directly inside Railclone ? Without these bug :)

Anyway, ty for the fixes and keep up the good work !
« Last Edit: April 25, 2016, 10:15:51 PM by Jahred »

Paul Roberts

• iToo Software
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2016, 10:57:14 PM »
Hi,

Yes it would appear to be to do with the pivots. I may be able to fix that in the script but this is just an unofficial tool (I'm away at FMX for a couple of days now but I'll check it when I return). However it's on our wish list to include new, even more user -friendly ways to apply RailClone objects to surfaces directly in the style for upcoming versions.

Many thanks!

Paul
« Last Edit: April 26, 2016, 12:32:29 AM by Paul Roberts »
Paul Roberts
iToo Software

Jahred

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2016, 08:12:37 PM »
I can't wait to see these improvements ! Let me know if you're able to fix the script after your trip.

Have a good stay and thank you again for your help.