Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: Can we get an Expose Node  (Read 743 times)

eqko

Can we get an Expose Node
« on: November 10, 2020, 09:44:27 PM »
Would it be possible to get an expose node in a future update ?

I find myself quite often wanting to know what value I'm getting from an expressoin in an arithmatic node.
I would find it super usefull to pipe that into an expose node that just show the value it's being passed.

My math isn't the best and an expose node would help me troubleshoot what I'm doing wrong.
I could think up more reason where having an expose node could help troubleshoot complex Railclone setups.

Somethig to take into consideration for the next Railclone release ? pretty pls  ;D

Rokas

Re: Can we get an Expose Node
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2020, 10:06:31 PM »
That is not possible technically. What I do is create a temporary dummy array with box and variable Z size. And wire my arithmetic to Z size
Rokas

eqko

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2020, 10:18:30 PM »
oh that's shame that it's not technically possible :(
I would've thought it would've actually been easy since the data is flowing anyway.

could you explain the 'workaround' a bit more, I'm not quite sure what you mean with
create a temporary dummy array with box and variable Z size. And wire my arithmetic to Z size

Rokas

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2020, 07:47:57 AM »
Sure.
Let say I am constructing a style (1) and not sure how arithmetic works. I disable it, Create a dummy style (2) and use simple box with exposed Z size (3). Then continue to debug my expression (4).  And I measure box heights to understand what values are passed where.
Rokas

eqko

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2020, 08:26:20 AM »
ah ok, yeah I get it.
better than nothing I suppose.
Maybe there's even a script to 'live' monitor the boundingbox / height of that box and display that in text form.

thanks for the workaround idea.

Rokas

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2020, 09:02:08 AM »
Bounding box is not exact number of real geometry. And it would only say the highest point. I most of the time want to see how it changes through the spline.
Rokas