Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: sloped glass wall  (Read 697 times)

JB3332

sloped glass wall
« on: September 12, 2022, 04:39:02 PM »
Hello, I have this task I can't make it work.
I have this channel glass wall that was modeled in Rhino, but when rendering it shows bad so I need to re-model with raiclone. It is a C shape channel glass that goes on this none-even shape, it is flat on the top but the bottom is sloped as goes around the building.
I have tried lineal with clipping area, but I only have the option of clipping on one axis.
Your help is appreciated.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/obmtoh1p9ro05js/ChannelGlass.JPG?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/l7jnl6y95bfchkj/noneevenwall.JPG?dl=0

Paul Roberts

• iToo Software
Re: sloped glass wall
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2022, 07:11:53 PM »
Hi,

Please see the attached file for a possible solution. Thankfully because at least one end was flat (the top in this case) it can be done using the following  expression wire the X Size input of the segment.

return abs(XSplineCoords.z);

XSplineCoords.z return the distance between the segment's current position on the spline to the RailClone Object's pivot. Because in this case the flat part is on top, you'd need to move the RailClone object on the Z Axis so that it's at the same level as the top of the glazing. Because the RailClone object is then above the spline, the distance would be negative. Adding abs() fixes that, making a negative value a positive.

I hope that helps,

Paul
Paul Roberts
iToo Software

JB3332

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2022, 11:12:19 PM »
Thank you very much for the fast reply.  This account was created by our IT person so I don't get this forum updates emails :(
I will test that file later on and hopefully, it works.
I'll let you know if I have ore problems,
Thank you.

VelvetElvis

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2022, 02:25:11 PM »
Would this expression (maybe modified a bit) work for the opposite condition where you have a flat bottom and a sloped top of the window? If it would, what would the modifications be?

Paul Roberts

• iToo Software
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2022, 12:34:14 PM »
Absolutely. You'd just need to change two things.

- Move the RailClone object below the spline - remember the pivot determines then plane for the flat part
- Change the Segment's Z Alignment to Top

Sample file attached.

I hope that helps,

Paul
Paul Roberts
iToo Software