Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: Metal grid with frame - X / Y Evenly (?)  (Read 2006 times)

JS4753

Metal grid with frame - X / Y Evenly (?)
« on: March 20, 2016, 06:27:49 PM »
Hey everyone,

I'm trying to create a simple metal grid (with fixed distance between the grid bars) with a metal frame around it (see Image 001) in combination with a Clipping area (extend X/Y size to area) and I'm failing in doing so  :-[.

I am managing to create the frame (see Image 002) but when adding the vertical and horizontal bars in X and Y Evenly (see Image 003), the frame gets corrupted:

- And then the side elements of the frame suddenly don't stop at the corner elements anymore, but are also stretched to the clipping spline (see red arrow in Image 004)

- Also, I want the the inner metal bars not to be stretched to the clipping spline but only to the inner side of the frame (see red circle in Image 004). I tried to solve this in adding limits (padding) for material ID 2, which I applied to the metal bars, but I noticed that this option doesn't seem to work (with clipping spline?).

How can I create this object, is it the right way or am I completely wrong? I already tried to receive the layout by using the window frame example from this forum (http://forum.itoosoft.com/index.php?topic=2974.msg11420#msg11420) but I didn't manage to do so, also I wondered if there isn't an easier solution as I want the distances between the metal bars to be of fix size...

I am thankful for any help :)

Greetings,
Betty

Paul Roberts

• iToo Software
Re: Metal grid with frame - X / Y Evenly (?)
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2016, 09:40:41 PM »
Hi Betty,

Please see the attached file for a possible solution.  It's much simpler that the window example and uses the following techniques:

- It's often simpler to use multiple generators, and in this case I've used 3. An L1S generator for the frame, an A2S for the horizontal grill segments and another A2S for the vertical grill segments:

- To offset the grill from the frame I've created a new empty segment and exported the X and Y Fixed Size values. These are wired to the Y Size attribute of the outer frame segment . The empty segment node is wired to the Left, Right, Top and Bottom inputs of the grill generators to automatically offset them from the sides. Because the size is extracted automatically, you can easily swap in your own geometry and the style will update.  The same technique is used to create gaps in the Y Evenly segments to make space for the vertical grill segments.
- Evenly spacing values are wired together to make sure that the generators stay in sync and to make it easy to adjust them from the Modify panel.
- Adjustable Left/Right padding is added to the gap between the Y Evenly segments so that you can overlap the horizontal and vertical segments to create the correct intersection of the chamfers.

I hope that helps, please let me know if you have any further questions.

Many thanks!

Paul
Paul Roberts
iToo Software

JS4753

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2016, 10:01:22 AM »
Hey Paul,

thank you a lot for your fast answer  :-*

I will now try it with your solution. Another question: Is there a way you could upload the example in a 3ds max 2014-compatible version? I can't open it because it was saved by a newer version...

Greetings,
Betty

Paul Roberts

• iToo Software
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2016, 10:04:37 AM »
Hi Betty,

Sure, here's a version for 2013 and upwards.

Thanks!

Paul
Paul Roberts
iToo Software

JS4753

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2016, 10:51:31 AM »
Hey Paul,

this time it worked. I copied your style and simplified it a bit for my purpose, now it works perfectly! Thx a lot!!!  :D

JS4753

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2016, 12:21:33 PM »
Another question occured during working with the preset:

How to best rotate the metal grid? The frame is always correct because of the L1S-Array, but the inside grid has to be reorientated sometimes and then there occures a problem with the NULL-Element...

Greetings  :)

Paul Roberts

• iToo Software
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2016, 04:25:46 PM »
Hi,

There are a few ways to tackle this, either by:

- Rotating the RailClone object itself so that it's local coord. system aligns to the rectangular spline. You may then need to reselect the Spline.
- If the Spline's coords are rotated you can click RailClone's Realign button (found in the Base Objects rollout) to automatically align the RC object with the spline. You may then need to reselect the Spline to update the object.
- You could rotate the grill in the style using the Clipping Area > Z Rotation property. This could be exported a wired to a Numeric node for easy access.

I hope that helps and many thanks!

Paul

Paul Roberts
iToo Software