Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: Passing size attributes through randomize nodes  (Read 429 times)

samrecentspaces

Passing size attributes through randomize nodes
« on: June 30, 2022, 05:22:45 PM »
Hi,

I'm currently trying to set up a random room generator using railclone.
The idea being that we would be able to take the outline of a room and place randomised furniture per spline element & control what geometry goes where by material ID's

e.g. ID one would have a bed, bedside tables & lamps on top, with each piece being from a random amount.

I was trying to set it up so that by outputting the x-size of the bed, I could offset the side-tables from the centre of the spline based on the size.
The problem I ran into was that when plugging two beds of different sizes into the randomise node, only the size of the widest bed is taken into account.

One solution is obviously to just ensure that all beds in this setup are the same width but I was hoping to have a bit more variation involved. Is there a different way to do it?

Cheers.

Paul Roberts

• iToo Software
Re: Passing size attributes through randomize nodes
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2022, 10:29:50 AM »
Hello Sam,

Unfortunately, a RailClone segment isn't able to access the randomised properties of its neighbours, it only knows its own properties. One solution, therefore, is to use Compose nodes which effectively combine segments together. This means that each segment in a compose operator's randomised properties can now be accessed.

Please take a look at the attached style which uses a compose operator for the bed and sideboards in Sequence mode, and another nested within that that adds the lamp to the top of the side-tables. Both the width of the bed and the height of the side-tables can be randomised.

I hope that helps,

Paul
Paul Roberts
iToo Software