Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: Basic Siding for Residential Home  (Read 1487 times)

cboogie

Basic Siding for Residential Home
« on: October 12, 2016, 05:20:11 PM »
A friend of mine has asked me to make a model of a home he's building.  I was thinking I would try to build as much of it as I could with RailClone and Forest.  I've gone through the tutorials about creating the mullions and framing for the windows . . . but I'm struggling with a good process for putting real clapboard siding on the house.  I have an X spline, a Y spline, and a basic elevation (a spline for the elevation outline and with windows cut out).  I can align the clapboard to make a solid wall of clapboard, but when I apply the clipping spline I get an error that says "no geometry".  I don't typically work on residential work like this but I'm enjoying the challenge.  But I could use a hand with this part . . . and any other tips you might have! 

Paul Roberts

• iToo Software
Re: Basic Siding for Residential Home
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2016, 05:41:50 PM »
Hi!

To make clipping work correctly in this setup you need to tell RailClone which axis to use for the clipping operation. By default this is set to project the clipping spline along the RailClone object's Z axis, which is why the siding is disappearing. To fix this, go to the Generator's settings and change the clipping Axis to Y.

To cut out the windows you will also need to attach the two splines together. I hope that helps, please let me know if you have any further questions.

Many Thanks,

Paul
Paul Roberts
iToo Software

cboogie

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2016, 09:38:10 PM »
that works perfectly!  Thanks so much. 

More of a process question now ... is this the most effective way to go about this?  Is each side supposed to be it's own railclone object?  Is there a way to streamline the process to work on multiple sides of a building? 

Michal Karmazín

• iToo Software
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2016, 12:05:47 PM »
Hi,

There's no need to have individual RC objects for these purposes as multiple Generators can be handled within one style. As mentioned in the 6 - How to use Clipping Splines chapter of our Next Steps with RailClone guide:

If you have an object that needs to be clipped from multiple angles you will need to split the style into different generators or duplicate the RailClone object. For example. a four sided building might use a separate generator for each façade, each with its own clipping spline. This will allow you to have different apertures on each aspect of the building.

Hope that helps.

Best regards,