Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: Rail Clone and Chaos Cloud  (Read 457 times)

VelvetElvis

Rail Clone and Chaos Cloud
« on: May 22, 2023, 05:54:52 PM »
Does anyone have any tips how to set up a parking lot that can randomize car paint materials that works with Chaos Cloud? We've moved to all cloud rendering and we're starting to see slight incompatibilities with how we set up some items in Rail Clone.

This set up is a 20 material ID "master" material for the car. Material ID's 1-8 are the paint colors and we currently use the Rail Clone Randomize Material ID to randomize the car paints. Yet, this doesn't work with Chaos Cloud even if I disable "use instance engine"

This is the result that we get now, which is not a good result. Everything renders file locally, this is just when using the cloud.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2023, 05:57:57 PM by VelvetElvis »

Michal Karmazín

• iToo Software
Re: Rail Clone and Chaos Cloud
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2023, 09:25:06 AM »
Hi,

I'm sorry to hear you're facing these troubles. Unfortunately, V-Ray Standalone isn't "fully" supported, and therefore neither is the Chaos Cloud - as mentioned in their documentation: "You can verify that your job will be processed correctly by rendering locally with V-Ray Standalone. If these results look correct, then you should get the same results in Chaos Cloud."

Please, try switching off the Use Instancing Engine option (Display > Render) option to see if that helps.

Thanks in advance for any further comments on this issue you can share about it with us / our user community (in case some user(s) will run into similar troubles).

Best regards,

VelvetElvis

Re: Rail Clone and Chaos Cloud
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2023, 01:41:22 PM »
Unfortunately in this particular use case, switching off instancing engine doesn't work. I think that has to do with how I'm randomizing the paint colors, and when the RC object is converted to geometry for the cloud, it is assigned the random material ID to the entire mesh. Which is why I get the right paint color scattered, but the entire car is just paint color.

Not having RC or Forest color going forward into the cloud is going to be a hurdle for us, but I understand that's how Chaos Cloud works. It's not Max + Vray, it's Vray standalone and that doesn't have full support to more of the Max-centric features. There may be a few more things I can test for this case to see if there is a work around.

For 99% of the other uses of RC and FP, going to the cloud has been pretty seamless. Parking lots on the other hand, that's a bit of a head scratcher.