Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: Best workflow to create Array 2S in x, y and z  (Read 1182 times)

RobH2

• Who is staring at the sea is already sailing a bit
    • NVision4D
Best workflow to create Array 2S in x, y and z
« on: February 16, 2019, 02:54:41 PM »
I'm creating a wire mesh for a Gabian wall. A Gabian wall is a wiremesh box filled with rock and is used to control erosion.

It's essentially a wire cage. I've created an Array 2S to form one face but now would like to be able to easily control the depth of the cage. I can duplicate and mirror the Array 2S I have to form the back but how do I fill in the sides, top and bottom? It appears as if I'm going to need to make an Array 2s for each side. Doing this doesn't make it very friendly to adjust for different overall sizes

I was wondering if there was a better way?

ForestPack Pro 6.3.1, RailClone 4.2.13, 3ds Max (Max 2024), GIGABYTE X570 AORUS x570 Master Motherboard, RTX4090, Ryzen 9 3950x CPU, Noctua NH-D15S CPU Cooler, 128 GB G.SKILL Trident Z Neo DDR4 Ram, Sabrent Rocket NVMe 4.0 M.2 drives

Paul Roberts

• iToo Software
Re: Best workflow to create Array 2S in x, y and z
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2019, 04:27:41 PM »
Hi,

Thanks for the message. Unfortunately, RailClone doesn't have an easy way to solve 3 dimensional arrays like this at present. I've attached a file which shows a possible solution using a spline to define the footprint and then 3 generators, one for the bottom, one for the sides and another for the top. It looks a little complex, but really each generator is a relatively simple 2D array. There's some fancy stuff to make it adaptive on all 3 axes (using the macros) but you can ignore that if it's not required.

This version uses just 4 segments:

1 - default
2 - corners
3 - top/bottom sides
4 - middle sides

You might also find this thread about Gabion walls of interest: https://forum.itoosoft.com/railclone-pro-(*)/how-make-parametric-gabion-wall/

I hope that help, please let me know if you have any further questions.

All the best,

Paul
Paul Roberts
iToo Software