Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: Wine Cellar  (Read 4792 times)

PO2253

Wine Cellar
« on: July 06, 2016, 05:48:39 PM »
Guys,

I wonder if anyone can help me with this. We are working on a wine cellar now, I`ve got 10+ different bottles and the shelves, but I have problems with distributing the bottles randomly. It sounds like a nice task for railclone, I just cant really figure it out...

so lets say we have a wall like the attached img. any ideas how to make the magic happen? :)

Paul Roberts

• iToo Software
Re: Wine Cellar
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2016, 07:44:17 PM »
Hi!

Thanks for the question. I must say it's a lot harder than it looks to solve, but I have something that may be useful for this purpose. If I can find an easier and more adaptable solution I'll update this thread.

In the attached file I've arranged the bottles in diamond shape using a sequence operator and a number of transform nodes to adjust the positioning. This is then wired to a second Sequence operator which has randomised counter values to create stacks of different heights. There are also some exported parameters to adjust the spacing between bottles.

As I mentioned, at the moment the arrangement is created manually by adjusting padding and transform values but ideally I'd like to create a version that allows you to specify the maximum number of models in each aperture and it creates the layout automatically.

I hope that helps.

Cheers!

Paul
Paul Roberts
iToo Software

PO2253

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2016, 10:07:52 AM »
whoa, that looks awesome, thank you! :)

I guess you used the same diameter for all the bottles. Do you think its possible to have different (or maybe randomised) diameter? For me that coused all the problems so I gave it up after a while...
Anyway, your version already looks better than mine.

Maybe you can make a nice and shiny new tutorial for the site with this one!

Paul Roberts

• iToo Software
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2016, 03:25:57 PM »
Hi,

Thanks for the feedback. At the moment each bottle is placed manually so it'd be tricky to change the size of the bottles unless I tackle this a different way. Really this need some sort of packing algorithm. If I can find a satisfactory solution it would certainly make a nice tutorial though! Thanks for the suggestions.

Cheers,

Paul
Paul Roberts
iToo Software

Rokas

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2016, 05:52:52 PM »
This one got me thinking too, Paul. I went another way,- used my favorite- nested style ;)
Rokas

Paul Roberts

• iToo Software
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2016, 09:35:18 PM »
Great!  That'll work well too, only disadvantage is it disables instancing but unless your distributing thousands of bottles that really won't be an issue.

Nice one!

Cheers,

Paul.
Paul Roberts
iToo Software