Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: Advanced RC Car setup  (Read 492 times)

Lars Egerrup / LKE Design

• LKE design website
Advanced RC Car setup
« on: March 21, 2022, 02:15:26 PM »
I am currently working on a setup distributing cars incl drivers / passangers as well as handling their various light situtations i.e. breaklight ON/OFF, Indicator light ON/OF ect. I have also implemented driving wheels., - however not turning front wheels (yet) as it due to Paul is very tricky business - which I agree with 100%. 
The lights are done this way, that they (in most cases a shelled version of a lightbulb with a Corona light material attached) are separated segments that can be turned ON and OFF either due to the Mat ID on the distributing spline or the vertex type, in cases where several types lights need to be ON at same time  i.e. Indicator and break.
I was sick and tired of having driverless cars on my Viz, so RC seemed to be the right tool for this. So I took all human models I had and cut of their legs, and have placed them in the car using random distrbution - works great!!

Now heres my question, I have been experimenting with the way to build this setup. In some way I would like each car model to be contained as kinda a separate object. So I tried to make each as separate RC Objects that then was nested into a distributing RC object. That turned out to be extremely slow - actualy not possible to work with at all - and I wonder why?? Are there some special way it must be set up to work this way? fx. Where should the car model be defined on Start or Default? (I have chosen Start)
Next I have tried with two car models + humans and it works much better  - I have however some trouble with the placement of them on the path!!??
I can't really figure out what is wrong  - again it is defiend as a L1s (in  start), with all subparts assembled in a compose group and then distributed in a new L1s to distribute the cars via Evenly on a spline.

What is your recommendation?

I think if I can get this up and working, it will be a really cool and useful setup.

Cheers / Lars
Lars Egerrup
LKE Design

E: Lars@LKEdesign.dk
W: www.LKEdesign.dk

Paul Roberts

• iToo Software
Re: Advanced RC Car setup
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2022, 02:26:45 PM »
Hello Lars,

That sounds like a very interesting project. I'd be very interested to try and solve this one with you. If you're able to send a sample to helpdesk@itoosoft.com then I could probably give you some much more targeted advice and get a clearer idea of what you'd like.

Regarding the speed - don't forget to turn off bend and slice for all segments. This can make a huge difference to build times.

Cheers,
Paul
Paul Roberts
iToo Software

Lars Egerrup / LKE Design

• LKE design website
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2022, 02:51:57 PM »
Sounds great Paul!!
I will make a more detailed description of my thoughts and a package with my current setups with some non licensed models.
With some luck I will have it ready by tomorrow.
Lars Egerrup
LKE Design

E: Lars@LKEdesign.dk
W: www.LKEdesign.dk

Paul Roberts

• iToo Software
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2022, 02:54:43 PM »
Look forward to it - thanks!
Paul Roberts
iToo Software