Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: A question about "mapping" in segment nodes ? A red and white color handrail.  (Read 1212 times)

cc8boy

• I'll do my best.Welcome to www.c7design.cn .
    • C7design
Hello everyone in iToosoft,
   Here's my scene file. I want to make a very simple handrail. I just want the red and white color appear alternately along the direction of the handrail and the skirting.
   I played with the "mapping" in segment node in Railclone 2.50 object. But I could't accomplish my goal. Could you please help me with my scene ? Please send the scene you fixed here.
Best wishes and Thank you very much.

Dual X5680, 32GB ram, 3dsmax2012 64bit pu08, Railclone 2.5.0,Forest pro pack,Vray 2.40
We are working hard in virtual effects in 3DSMAX. Welcome to our website in China.

Paul Roberts

• iToo Software
Hi!

Please find attached an amended style. I made a couple of changes as follows:

• Added a material operator to alternate the material ID between 1 and 2
  • Added and exported Offset value so you can easily adjust the distance from the spline parametrically instead of using the pivot point
  • Reduced the Curve Steps - the high value was causing RC to work very slowly

I hope that helps, please let me know if you have any further questions.

Many Thanks,

Paul
Paul Roberts
iToo Software

cc8boy

• I'll do my best.Welcome to www.c7design.cn .
    • C7design
Thanks for your quick reply. I will get another problem if I follow your method.
There will be much much more polygons appear when I try to decrease or increase distance between two red sections. I just want to modify the size of mapping gizmo. I hope the polygon count won't be changed when I change the distance between two red sections.

I hope you can understand me. Thank you very much.
We are working hard in virtual effects in 3DSMAX. Welcome to our website in China.

Paul Roberts

• iToo Software
Hi,

Personally for me this is the easiest method, I would split the source geometry into smaller segments so that you can more finely control where the Material ID changes.

However I've also attached a version that uses the mapping coordinates as you suggest. There are a few complexities with this, as you've noticed the red/white pattern is reversed on each side. This is because in most cases you wouldn't want the texture flipped on the U axis on the reverse, however in this case it prevents the style from working correctly. To remedy this I have split the base geometry into 2 material IDs, the original and one where the texture has been rotated 180 degrees. You can then apply this to the reverse so that the colours match on both sides.

I hope that helps, please let me know if you have any further questions.

Many Thanks,

Paul
Paul Roberts
iToo Software