Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: Help with UVW Xform  (Read 4917 times)

JTP Vis

Help with UVW Xform
« on: June 30, 2017, 12:38:24 PM »
Hi,

I'm a bit confused with the control of the UVW XForm operator. I am making a simple wall, and thought it would be best to control the UVW mapping through railclone. I added the object (simple box for wall segment) with a material applied. the mapping is a bit messed up on the object, so I applied a UVW modifier to the base object. Now the objects in the railclone show as tiling badly, so I set the object's properties in RC to apply box mapping. This fixes the tiling, but the placement is a bit off. So I added a UVW XForm between the object and the generator. This allowed me to move the texture around on the front face, however, it's a bit restricted on the side faces... you can only move it in one direction... and not a useful one in my case. Any suggestions? It might be worth noting that I'm using an x-ref material, so I don't really have the opportunity to edit the material at source. It looks like it could be a great solution, if it worked.

Cheers,

Bill

Michal Karmazín

• iToo Software
Re: Help with UVW Xform
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2017, 05:18:15 PM »
Hi Bill,

Would you mind to specify which RC version are you using? There were some issues with UVW XForm Operator, but in the latest RailClone Pro 3.0.5 beta beta the Fixed Offset negative / positive values (which should do the trick in your case) seem to work correctly. Please feel free to send us your scene and we'll check it here.

Best regards,

JTP Vis

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2017, 05:33:51 PM »
Hi Michal,

I'm using RC 2.7.4.

I'll send you the file to look at. The issue is with the directions of the UVW offsets. I've attached an image to illustrate the point. The object Wall_Main has the "Apply Box Mapping" option checked, so I assume it has a box map, U, V and W applied to it. However, when you then edit the UVW XForm, as you can see in the attached diagram, the U value moves it in the front face X direction (as expected) the V value move the front in the Y direction, but the side in the X (local, or Z/W to the front face), and the W value seems to do nothing at all!

I hope the file, or the diagram can explain it.

Cheers,

Bill

Michal Karmazín

• iToo Software
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2017, 06:09:23 PM »
Hi,

Thanks for the provided scene. I can confirm, that's not behaving correctly in the RC 2.7.4. Please feel free to give a try the RailClone Pro 3.0.5 beta, which doesn't suffer this problem. You can download them from the User Panel - Downloads - Beta versions.

Thought we have no "final release" date set yet, I would suggest you to proceed the installation of actual beta version, as it's pretty stable and we've already fixed some bugs.

Best regadrs,