Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: Railclone License Usage  (Read 2408 times)

Nestamonk

Railclone License Usage
« on: January 08, 2018, 05:34:14 PM »
We're a fairly large studio that has a limited number of Railclone Licenses.  If someone opens a file with Railclone in it, they take a license.  In this case I'm not working on the Railclone section. How can I release the license without having to close my file wait for the other person to open his file  to grab a license. Then I have to reopen my file  once he has the license.

Any Help
Bueller

Michal Karmazín

• iToo Software
Re: Railclone License Usage
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2018, 05:45:06 PM »
Hi Bueller,

First let me mention, that the license is not assigned by opening 3ds max or any scene which doesn't contain RC object(s). Once anyone opens a scene which includes some RC object(s), the license is automatically assigned to that computer. The license is released automatically to the "free & available" status when not in use - that happens shortly after closing the 3ds max (within seconds) / scene with Forest object(s) (within minutes).

Without the need of closing the scene / 3ds Max, the Disconnect button under the Computers tab of the Itoo Software License Manager would do that job too. All other content can be edited & scene saved safely. When later opened with the license, the RC object(s) will become editable/renderable once again.

An option to exclude specific workstations from getting a license from the server is by changing them temporarily to "Stand-alone mode", using "Start Menu > Itoo Software > RailClone Pro > Change License Mode". This way is possible to define easily the workstations that will use the available licenses. Hope that helps.

Best regards,

Nestamonk

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2018, 05:55:20 PM »
Great Thanks  that was helpful

Nestamonk

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2018, 03:06:03 PM »
Unfortunately in an environment with 100 computers and a dedicated license server this doesn't work. I can't open access to license server/domain controller to users
and we are not trying to exclude or include workstations

iToo

• Administrator
    • iToo Software
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2018, 05:34:44 PM »
Hi, i want to clear that the license is not fetched just opening a scene with Forest or RailClone objects, but when scene is rendered or a FP/RC object is edited.
It works in that way by design, because a license is required for each workstation, both to RENDER or EDIT FP/RC objects interactively (not for render nodes).

We know some plugins require a license only for edit, but this is not our case and we don't like that approach.
In the same way that you cannot use an unique license to edit or render from multiple computers with V-Ray (or Corona), we think it's not fair that you can do that in FP / RC.

Said that, we are evaluating possible changes to our licensing system. But this require time and be very careful to please everyone.
One change that would be relatively simple, is to free the license inmediately after editing or completing a render. That should solve many license inconvenients, as yours.

Thanks for your understanding.
Carlos Quintero
iToo Software