Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: What I see is not what I get  (Read 1982 times)

AurelienH

What I see is not what I get
« on: August 26, 2015, 11:17:37 AM »
Hello Itoo !

I've got a little issue today with railclone. When I try to render a RC object, it doesn't render what I see in the viewport. I'm working with raillcone 2.5 and max 2015. Any suggestion ?

Paul Roberts

• iToo Software
Re: What I see is not what I get
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2015, 11:23:13 AM »
Hi!

Are you able to attach the .max file containing that style so I can take a closer look? If you'd prefer not to attach it here please feel free to send it paul@itoosoft.com.

Many thanks,

Paul
Paul Roberts
iToo Software

AurelienH

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2015, 11:39:18 AM »
Hi Paul !

Thank you for your fast answer.
Please find attached the max file.
I try to reproduce a wood ceiling mixing the 2 pictures attached.

Thanks !

Paul Roberts

• iToo Software
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2015, 12:38:27 PM »
Thanks for the files. I see you have several layers of nested RailClone objects and this seems to be what's causing the disparity between viewport and render. To fix it, just turn off the instancing engine for all but the top level RailClone object.

I hope that helps,

Many thanks!

Paul
Paul Roberts
iToo Software

AurelienH

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2015, 12:59:40 PM »
Dear Paul,

Thank you very much for this quick solution. It works perfectly !
Wish you a wonderful day.

Aurélien_

Paul Roberts

• iToo Software
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2015, 01:02:30 PM »
No problem at all.

I've also created a version that uses a single A2S generator in case it's of interest.  There's any number of ways you could randomise the pattern but in this example I've created a row of alternating lights and solid blocks, a second row which is the same but reversing the order, and a final row of just solid blocks. These are then randomised on the Y axis.

I hope that helps, please let me know if you have any questions about the set-up.

Many thanks,

Paul
Paul Roberts
iToo Software

AurelienH

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2015, 01:16:03 PM »
Waow, that's for sure more efficient but complex  :P
I try to understand what is your setup.
So you randomize the boxes into "sequences", I get it. But what is doing the "selector" ? Assigning random number to the "sequences" ?And then you randomize everything with the "conditional" parameter ?

That's really kind of you !

AurelienH

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2015, 01:18:26 PM »
Oh one more thing, If I want less light object which parameter I need to change ? The "counters" value in the "sequences" ?

Thanks

Paul Roberts

• iToo Software
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2015, 01:27:11 PM »
Hi Aurélien,

Just a quick question - do you need to always alternate between lights and solid sections? Or is it ok to simply randomise between segments at any point. The latter would be a much simpler setup as you can see in the attached file.

To change the number of lights in this file, just select the Randomise operator and change the probability. The conditional operator is being used to test to see if a segment is the first one on the X axis. If it is then it randomises using a much larger scale range to create a more pronounced offset for each row.

To clarify the purpose of the selector operator in the original file.  It is being used to randomly select between the two sequences and the randomise operator attached to its inputs. This is to give you variety between the type of row used as the array progresses on the Y axis. The Random Number node is wired to the Selector's Index and if you check out its properties you'll see it is set to generate a new random number for every Array Y Row. It's just another way of randomising, but with much more control over when a new value is generated.

Many thanks,

Paul
« Last Edit: August 26, 2015, 01:36:25 PM by Paul Roberts »
Paul Roberts
iToo Software

AurelienH

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2015, 02:01:53 PM »
Thank you !