Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: How to scatter on a Sphere  (Read 701 times)

Franki

• architect
How to scatter on a Sphere
« on: October 31, 2022, 07:50:38 PM »
Hello comunity.

It's probably a well know queston but I can't find the answer.

I can I scatter objects on a sphere or even a 3d curved surface. Pretty much like in the image attached below extract from an old Railclone tuto on Youtube.

Any help ?

(To ADMIN : If a moderator can switch this message to the Railclone Pro categorie pls)
« Last Edit: October 31, 2022, 08:15:51 PM by Franki »

Michal Karmazín

• iToo Software
Re: How to scatter on a Sphere
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2022, 09:43:42 AM »
Hi,

Well, RailClone surface tools are a little limited at the moment. Rather that follow the polygons or the UVs like a panelling tool, In RailClone, geometry is projected along the RC object's local Z axis until it hits the surface's geometry. This means that it only works well when the face normal points towards the RC object. Any polygons with faces that point away or overlap will not work well. Sometimes, you can get around it by spitting the surface and using several RC objects with different orientations.

For these purposes, using the Forest Pack in the UV mode would be the commendable way.

Best regards,

Franki

• architect
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2022, 04:53:12 PM »
Hello,

Thanks for the response; so you're telling me its impossible to performe what's on the image below with railclone ?
I can do it on forest; but in situation of architectural clading on parametric surfaces it's useless cause it's missing the "bend and cut" quality of railclone.

Michal Karmazín

• iToo Software
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2022, 11:18:09 AM »
Hi,

First, let me apologize for the late reply. Apart from the mentioned Forest Pack, which suits this task better, the recommendable workflow in RailClone (it was done this way as you can see on the attached screenshot) would be to generate splines based on the surface and use these.

Best regards,