Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: How to install shared packages  (Read 375 times)

raf

• Industria Motion Art
How to install shared packages
« on: December 06, 2022, 07:30:52 PM »
Sadly the Update Manager look a bit different. How can I install packages without having the workstations online. We have to follow very strict safety points, so our machines can't be online at any time.

https://docs.itoosoft.com/railclone/installation-files/update-manager

would be great if it could work very very soon. We have both, forest and railclone.

Michal Karmazín

• iToo Software
Re: How to install shared packages
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2022, 11:33:51 AM »
Hi,

As mentioned in the documentation:

It is possible to install content from a shared network location. This can be useful to prevent each computer from having to download potentially large files separately. It works by contacting the iToo Servers for a list of available packages, it then checks to see if they are already available in a shared directory and if they are found, installs them from there. If they are not available in the shared directory, they are downloaded and made available to all other computers on the network. 

To do this is a 2-step process: First, download the assets to a networked location from any PC. Then configure the other PCs on the network to look in this location. To do this:

Step 1: Download packages
  • Go to the Settings menu and select Preferences.
  • Go to the Local Network Installation tab.
  • Specify a network location for the installation packages by clicking on the Select Folder button.
  • Click OK.
  • The installation files for any libraries downloaded from now on will be saved to this location
Step 2: Installing shared packages
  • Open Update Manager on the offline machine
  • Go to the Settings menu and select Preferences.
  • Go to the Local Network Installation tab.
  • Specify the same network location for the offline installation packages by clicking on the Select Folder button.
  • Files will be installed from this location. 
Also, you might find interesting the following links regarding the possible network paths set up:

https://forum.itoosoft.com/faq/installing-forestpack-6-assets-in-a-shared-network-path/
https://forum.itoosoft.com/faq-18/installing-railclone-3-assets-in-a-shared-network-path/

In addition to the "network paths set-up" links, using environment variables can be a good option.

I hope that helps.

Best regards,

raf

• Industria Motion Art
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2022, 12:12:55 PM »
I know and tried that already, but as a offline maschine I cant even log in into the update manage - of course.
And there is no tap called "Settings". Is it called now "Files"?

So when I specify the network path, nothing is installed. Actually, Forest and RailClone is awesome, but the installation of the assets offline is not really user friendly.

Michal Karmazín

• iToo Software
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2022, 01:34:39 PM »
In such a case, copying files "manually" would be the recommendable way. We'll see what can be done in future releases.

Best regards,