Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: Apply box mapping + groups with lights = lights gone  (Read 256 times)

nubo

Apply box mapping + groups with lights = lights gone
« on: March 19, 2024, 12:09:46 AM »
Hi,

I've noticed that when I turn on 'apply box mapping' on a segment that uses a group with a light object inside that group the light disappears from geometry preview and doesn't render.
The rest of the geometry within the group behaves and renders normal.

Is there any workaround for that or is it a group handling limitation?
Or maybe a bug?

Best regards,
Przemek

Michal Karmazín

• iToo Software
Re: Apply box mapping + groups with lights = lights gone
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2024, 09:25:40 AM »
Hi Przemek,

If you need to use the Apply Box Mapping feature, you should apply it just to geometric segments - instead of using a Group, connecting these "geometric segments" with "non-geometric segments" should be done within the Compose Operator in the Grouped mode.

Best regards,

nubo

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2024, 12:23:10 PM »
Thanks Michal,

So to be clear:
If I have a box and a light and I want to distribute them as a single segment I have to add them as two separate segment objects and join them using Compose instead of using a 3DSMax's native group?

That complicates things a bit especially when using a lot of props with multiple lights and I guess also requires preparing the pivots of all the objects to avoid manual adjustment with transform nodes inside RailClone.

Is changing the behavior of groups+mapping on any to do list or is it to obscure of a problem or possibly just beyond limitations?

Best regards,
Przemek

Michal Karmazín

• iToo Software
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2024, 10:42:04 AM »
Hi Przemek,

We have logged the issue in our system, and our main developers will review it. At the moment, it's hard to say whether it's a bug or some limitation.

Best regards,

nubo

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2024, 11:08:17 AM »
Thanks Michal,

That's great to hear. :)

Best regards,
Przemek