I believe that I should start this topic in the RailclonePro section, but for some reason, it doesn't allow me.
During the quarantine, I am trying to get better at Itoo Softwares and found an interesting project to exercise. I am trying to model the Sayama Forest Chapel, but I am facing some issues generating the roof (links with references below). https://prnt.sc/s54cma https://prnt.sc/s54cyl https://prnt.sc/s54d3a
I modeled the wood under the metal slates so it is easy to use it as a surface for Railclone, but it seems that Array 2S Generator will not work here. I got splines from that surface so I can use Linear 1S Generator to scatter the six different sizes of metal slates. I attach the image (link below) of how the generator looks like right now.https://prnt.sc/s54duc
Issue 01: I create the 1S generator and scatter the slates using Randomize, UVWXForm, Transform operators, and also the RotateTileY Macro in the Default slot. It looks okay for the start and the default, but in the end it slices the last slate (https://prnt.sc/s54e9q)
. I want it to end with not sliced slate so I tried to put the slates in the Start and End slots. It works, but now it slices the slates before the last (End) slate even though I put it in adaptive/tile mode in the generator. I need it to Start and End with a full slate and to adaptive scale the middle (Default) slates.
Issue 02: As the roof's surface has a lot of different angles I found it difficult to scatter the slates properly as when I rotate (using RotateTileY Macro or X Rotation of the Generator) them so each row covers the one below - I create a gap on the other side. I attach an example image (https://prnt.sc/s54ex7)
of the different angles the roof needs. The angles at the ends are 78 degrees and they meet in the middle which is ~67 degrees. As the roof has different sides and different angles I can't make it work properly everywhere. When I make the end slates to be okay- The middle slates look like the bottom slates are overlapping the slates above. (https://prnt.sc/s54fnu)
I tried to workaround this issue by making the slates thicker (to 1cm from 0.4) so when I make them 67 degrees they will fill the gaps at the end. It worked for some of the parts, but the geometry brakes because of the small angle and thick slates (https://prnt.sc/s54g4b)
Issue 03: Even with 0.4cm thick slates at the middle the geometry brakes and the smoothing groups get dark spots (https://prnt.sc/s54gid)
. I believe there is nothing much I can do about that, but I would love to hear your opinion.
The idea for a workaround I'm currently trying right now:
So the RailClone works fine, but there is an issue with the angles. As I have already modeled the surface I decided to make a square plane 10m, put a camera with Orthographic Projection, 5 lights, and Render Elements (diffuse, reflection, normal, and 3 different distances of ZDepth) and render a 10 000 pixels textures of it. I will unwrap the surface and use the textures created with RailClone for displacement and etc. I would love to hear your opinion about that too! (https://prnt.sc/s5921a)
I upload all working files if anyone has time to look at them. I will be more than happy to see them used in future tutorials as it seems that these issues are for more advanced users of the software.
Thank you for your time!