Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: Railclone objects losing materials  (Read 2238 times)

GT4505

• claar.be
Railclone objects losing materials
« on: September 11, 2016, 05:24:51 AM »
Hi,

I'm working on a larger swimmingpool complex right now, the problem I've encountered several times now in this same model are railclone objects with multisub mats assigned to them losing the multisub and only keeping one submat...
Which gives a non desired look off coarse...
Is this a known issue? Can something be done about this?

Let me know if you need the railclone objs from my scene.

Thank you
Pieter van Stee
for claar.be
Pieter van Stee

Paul Roberts

• iToo Software
Re: Railclone objects losing materials
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2016, 02:59:19 PM »
Hi,

Does this happen only in the viewports? The most common time this is reported is when RailClone reverts to Box display mode to keep viewport interaction fast. It does this when the polycount exceeds the Adaptive value shown in the Display rollout.

But this is only affects viewport displays and it should render absolutely fine. If you want to force full mesh display, you can change the mode to Mesh, but we don't recommend this for very large objects.

I hope that helps, please let me know if you have any further questions.

Many Thanks,

Paul
Paul Roberts
iToo Software

GT4505

• claar.be
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2016, 04:58:24 PM »
Hi,

Thank you for your reply.
No, it's not just in the viewport, mostly it happens on some of the same objects.
They usually always have multi-sub mats.
It's also hard to recreate this problem and I don't know when/why it appears.

I have the model and some testrenders where the error is visible, I've reapplied the material quite some times (about 10-12x over the project duration).
Was just wondering if this was a more common issue...
The project has finished by now, so it probably won't happen again as I've never had this problem before

Thanks
Pieter van Stee

JTP Vis

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2016, 05:32:34 PM »
From what I understand of what you are saying, it would appear that the same material id numbers are being used on different objects, so RC gets the mats mixed up, or a least in my experience actually gives up on trying to assign materials at all.

don't know if that helps you look for a solution.

Cheers,

Bill

GT4505

• claar.be
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2016, 08:02:08 PM »
Yeah, might be something like that.
But if I remember it right there was no multisub mat anymore on the rc obj.

I used that obj in boxed mode to preview the object... and in that mode the (window) object was displayed in a solid grey alu color, which was applied on the frame.
And sometimes when rendering it rendered completely in that material even if there was a multisub applied on it.
Also strange because I had multiple copies of this object for different window groups, and there was always just one window object with this issue.

But if no one else has had this issue it'll have been a temp glitch or something...
Thanks for your reply
Pieter van Stee