Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: Arches and keystone  (Read 466 times)

IT1371

Arches and keystone
« on: February 09, 2021, 03:05:02 PM »
So I made this simple style. One generator for curves to make the arches, and one generator for the liners segments. It does pretty much what I want, but I can't figure out the keystone.
At the moment the keystone overlays the default segment and hides it. Its okay for now, but it generates garbage geometry when I turn on displacement.
Any way to clean it up nicely?

Rokas

Re: Arches and keystone
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2021, 03:40:42 PM »
Hi

You need to enable "Bevel Corner"

After You do that- I trust You will figure it out how to solve the rest. Anyway attached maxfile.

Hope this helped.
Rokas

IT1371

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2021, 09:52:23 AM »
Thank you! that was exactly what was missing and I totally forgot about bevel corner.
I replaced the box with more complex geometry (figured I rather not break RC into instances for generating displacement, makes easier to modify it if client requests) to imitate the stone, but now im facing a different challenge. Any way to smoothen the bend or prevent those holes?

Rokas

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2021, 09:54:46 AM »
Hi again.
I could test if You shared Your max file.
Rokas

IT1371

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2021, 10:13:53 AM »
Email sent :)

IT1371

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2021, 10:38:18 AM »
I was able to smooth it with Curve Steps to 999 instead of 0... is there a more gentle solution?

Rokas

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2021, 01:09:43 PM »
Hi, as You have found- setting to higher "Curve Steps" value is one way to do it. Most of the times it works really well.
Anyway that does not work sometimes with some conditions,- ie high poly objects and curvy splines, as it in Your case.
What is more, deformed segments are not instanced- each deformed segment requires it's own RAM allocation,- so be careful..
So it is not recommended way to use High Poly assets  with bending in RC.

The most elegant way in this case is to use "lighter" segments and use baked normal maps to bring out the details instead of displaced geometry.

Also I think this FAQ is related and can help in same cases as well.

Hope this helps.
Rokas