Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: Curved XY Spline Scatter  (Read 1057 times)

ACTLD

Curved XY Spline Scatter
« on: October 06, 2019, 10:16:51 AM »
Hi everyone,

Ben here, i'm brand new on Railclone (3 days of usage), i went through a lot of Itoo tutorials but it seems i cannot find the right fit for my issue(s), meaby it's not the right tool but...not enough experience in it to judge, i hope my explanations will be clear enough.And i thanks you already for your time helping.

So i need to reproduce a organic wall made of terracota cylinders,see picture below :
https://previews.123rf.com/images/cpphotoimages/cpphotoimages1805/cpphotoimages180500016/101447688-a-stack-of-terracotta-tube-planters-for-growing-plants-stacked-up-against-a-wall.jpg

Until here everything is fine but i need to scatter those cylinder on a curved surface, like a terrace garden but smoother in between the levels :
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C4jqMgbXAAAxd9g.jpg:large

I manage to create a closer result with a X Y spline but i can't figure it out how to avoid collisions, and adding some randomizing(pictures in attachments). I attach my max file also if needed. I also tried with a surface but was worst.

I feel i'm close but meaby it's the limit for railclone in that matter.

Thank you for your help,time and efforts in advance.

Have a nice day.

Rokas

Re: Curved XY Spline Scatter
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2019, 11:35:10 AM »
Hi, and welcome to the forum

I see You have tried many techniques. One more, that I can advice is to create many paths from Your surface at regular height intervals:

and use that as Your distribution.

Not perfect solution, but might help. If not in this case then in the future styles.

Unfortunately adding randomization will definitely introduce additional intersections.
Hope this helps.
Rokas

ACTLD

Re: Curved XY Spline Scatter
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2019, 08:08:16 AM »
Hey Rokas,

thanks a lot for the help, sorry for the late answer. We managed to do it by pre-building a Column and than using it has object, it's not 100% that but quite good enough, when more time we will search further.

Thanks again for the help !