Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: Roof Tiles issue  (Read 442 times)

FC2603

Roof Tiles issue
« on: June 07, 2023, 09:50:20 AM »
I'm trying to add slate tiles to a series of properties but it's painfully slow to update anything.

What I've noticed is that in the stats it's saying that there are 0 instanced segments and thousands that aren't. Is this normal?

I've got 7 RC objects, each containing a few roofs, and after checking, it is also the reason that the scene takes about 5 minutes to save (file size is about 800MB). Without the RC objects it saves in about 15 seconds.

Proxy caching the RC objects bumps the size of the file to about 4.5GB which isn't ideal but may be the only option.

Michal Karmazín

• iToo Software
Re: Roof Tiles issue
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2023, 09:56:07 AM »
Hi,

I would suggest turning on the Deform > Force Instance option for used Segments. That should help.

Best regards,

FC2603

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2023, 12:03:44 PM »
There are 12 planes in this preset so have been through and turning on Force Instance for each one puts gaps around the edge of the roof. A handful of them don't break the roof and drop the segment count very slightly but it still shows the number of instanced segments as 0.

Michal Karmazín

• iToo Software
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2023, 02:22:41 PM »
Hi,

Well, that’s most probably linked to the usage of the Boxes or Adaptive > Degrade to Boxes viewport display mode which affects the RailClone Stats (these boxes are independent meshes) – any other Display mode should show the corresponding number of Instanced & Non-Instanced Segments. You’ll get even better performance on this kind of style with these Display modes (like the Quick Mesh one).

I’m afraid, that generally roofing styles are a bit “heavy” and using Proxy Cache feature would be highly recommendable for these purposes – it should load and render much faster because RailClone doesn't need to perform so many calculations to rebuild them, which is especially useful for complex styles. In theory, there shouldn't be any significant difference between the Embedded / External mode though the Embedded might be a bit faster.

We'll check what can be done in future versions to optimize these complex styles even more (it'll need to be investigated more in deep by our main developers).

Best regards,

FC2603

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2023, 03:55:04 PM »
Thanks very much for the info. Good to know what the best options are currently.

I'll give the External mode a go as presumably this would keep the main scene file size down.