Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: Struggling with corners  (Read 2714 times)

BI1654

Struggling with corners
« on: April 14, 2016, 11:18:19 AM »
I have a seemingly simple object Im trying to acheive.

Ive attached the railclone object.

This gives me the right setup on straight sections, allows me to change spacing and also adapt to shorter spline segments so there are no half panels on a short section of wall.

But at the corners it terminates mid panel, assume this is because its using the "default" part.

I want to it to using the "start" and "end" segments at the corners so the panels start and finish cleanly at corners.

The only other way I could see to do this would be to create the whole panels as one object and plug it in to "default" but then I get some strange results with scaling

Maybe there is another better way to do this? (Ive attached an image showing what I would ideally like)

Paul Roberts

• iToo Software
Re: Struggling with corners
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2016, 11:48:28 AM »
HI,

Thanks for the question and Max file. You're not getting a frame on the vertices because the Corner Input of the generator is empty. To fix this , you could do the following.

1. We'll by using the existing Start and End segments to create the corner. To do this create a new Compose operator and wire the End segment to the first Input
2. Create a new empty Segment node and wire it to the Compose operators second input. Give the empty segment a size on the X Axis using its Fixed Size > X property. The actual value isn't that important, I went for 50mm.
3. Wire the Start segment to the Compose operator's third input.
4. Wire the Compose operator to the  Generator's Corner input.
5. Open the Generator's setting and turn on Rules > Corner > Bevel Corner.
6. Adjust the BC Offset value to close up the gap on the corner (this is why the size of the empty segment is irrelevant, because we remove it in this step)

You final graph looks like this:

I've also attached your revised file. I hope that helps, please let me know if you have any further questions.

Many thanks!

Paul

ps If you want to know more about corners you might also find the How To Fine Tune Corners chapter in the RailClone guide helpful.
Paul Roberts
iToo Software

BI1654

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2016, 11:58:17 AM »
Amazing, works perfectly.
Need to figure out why it works though!

Thanks for the rapid reponse

Paul Roberts

• iToo Software
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2016, 12:06:18 PM »
Glad to help out. The Compose operator in the Corner is because of this reason (taken from the guide):

"When using a single corner input the segment's geometry is centred on the vertex. However if you use the compose operator with the corner input slot, you will get different behaviour depending on whether you have an odd or even number of segments attached. "

The empty segment is to create an odd number of inputs in the Compose operator which then centres the empty segment on the vertex.

Cheers,

Paul
Paul Roberts
iToo Software