Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: RC Spline optimize option  (Read 1369 times)

mike.kominek

RC Spline optimize option
« on: March 20, 2019, 01:41:50 PM »
Hello,

When using the Array generators, my RC object creates hard edges instead of smooth lines in places where the the spline angle is not large enough. It works exactly like if you Tick "Optimize" in Interpolation rollout in Editable Spline, but there doesnt seem to be any way to disable it. It does not react to the settings of the spline, it seems to have its own RC settings and I need all of the corners to be smooth.

It doesnt happen when using Linear generator.

Is there some tick button that is eluding my attention? Or perhaps a missing feature?

All of the spline's corners on the pic are "smooth" corners and all segments of the spline are "curve"

Thank you for your time

« Last Edit: March 20, 2019, 01:44:02 PM by mike.kominek »

Michal Karmazín

• iToo Software
Re: RC Spline optimize option
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2019, 09:12:24 AM »
Hi Mike,

For these purposes, you can use the Rules > Corner > Fillet Radius feature (which adjusts the path to create a rounded corner - the numeric parameter defines the radius of the fillet arc). Additionaly, you can tweak the Style > Geometry > Curve Steps value (by default RailClone uses the Steps value of the splines used as reference. Use this parameter to modify the path's smoothness. It accepts values greater than 100, which is the limit in Max splines).

Hope that helps.

Best regards,

mike.kominek

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2019, 09:58:48 AM »
Hi Michal,

Thanks for the reply.

Im afraid neither of these solve my problem. Because the issue truly is in "optimize" function that has no corresponding tick box in RC Style-Geometry Rollout.
What it does is it treats the control point as a corner if the angle of the curve is not large enough. Fillet Radius does not help because my resulting mesh is identical if its set to anything above 0 + its whole object and this is basically different curve per control point. Curve steps are how many "vertices" are made to make the curve between two control points smooth, optimize disables the curve for spline segments that dont have angle large enough.
Im sure you are familiar with these things im just making sure we understand each other.

Simply said RC object needs to either read "optimize" settings from the Spline settings or have its own "optimize" Tick box in Style, because it appears as if its enabled by default for Arrays and there is no way to disable it.

For my particular case its a game breaker and I simply either will hope that you guys will patch this or I cannot use RC for my project :(

Attaching another pic of what my spline looks like and how my RC object does not follow it on places where the angle between the CPs is not large enough.

Thanks for your time

EDIT: Getting "Internal Server Error 500" when trying to use attachment so sending a link to the pic for some free pic sharing website

https://ibb.co/XzjvxGt
« Last Edit: March 22, 2019, 10:02:29 AM by mike.kominek »

Michal Karmazín

• iToo Software
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2019, 02:29:59 PM »
Hi Mike,

Big thanks for all your feedback. With your help, we've been able to reproduce such behavior here with the Array 2S Generator (the Linear 1S doesn't seem to suffer this issue) and we'll check what can be done.

Best regards,

mike.kominek

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2019, 01:19:14 PM »
Hi Michal,

Thank you for looking into this.

Just so I can have an idea for my project, would there be any chance to provide some sort of estimate timescale for the fix of this so I can wrap around it a little bit?

Many thanks.

Michal Karmazín

• iToo Software
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2019, 01:11:12 PM »
Hi Mike,

Which 3ds Max version are you using? We can prepare a custom patch, which should help with this issue.

Best regards,

mike.kominek

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2019, 01:53:22 PM »
Hi Michal,

I am just migrating from 17 to 19 at the moment. It's a little slow process but a custom patch would be much appreciated. Ideally for 19 as im hoping the migration to be finished rather soon.

Thanks and regards