Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: RC Staircase  (Read 464 times)

Jm/3di

RC Staircase
« on: November 03, 2021, 02:22:31 PM »
Hi,

I'm trying to acheive something better than this  in RC (see attached). I don't use RC very often, and mostly I use preset librairies then modifiy them to my needs. So I'm still a dumb user...
I tried to search the forum first and online tutorials...
Is there a way I can do this, or if anyone could point me to related tutorial, or help ?
Thanks

Julien

« Last Edit: November 03, 2021, 02:42:03 PM by Jm/3di »

Paul Roberts

• iToo Software
Re: RC Staircase
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2021, 04:03:54 PM »
Hi Julien,

This is quite challenging because several of the treads are unique and RailClone mainly excels at repeating and deforming geometry. The corner treads for example aren't simply deformed to follow the spline but skewed and cut to create winders and kites.

Was the version in the image created with RailClone? I'm struggling to produce anything that improves on it at the moment and think this may be one of those rare occasions where traditional modelling may be more appropriate.

Best.
Paul
Paul Roberts
iToo Software

Jm/3di

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2021, 11:00:42 PM »
Thanks for trying Paul. If there was only the corner treads, I would manually edit them. The version in the image is the best I can do with "Artakan stairs" script, but still not good enough. I tried with Revit and ArchiCAD and I thought maybe Raiclone could be the saver, since I need the geometry you see in the image, and the bottom is smooth like in your cool tutorial on spiral stairs, and there are continuous limons, and continuous specific handrail.
Anyway, thanks again and good day.
Julien

Paul Roberts

• iToo Software
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2021, 09:38:14 AM »
The handrail might be doable with RailCLone, do you have any more references for what you need? Out of interest, what are limons?

Paul
Paul Roberts
iToo Software

Jm/3di

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2021, 11:23:04 AM »
Yes I will try to create the handrail with RC. And I'm sorry I wrote too fast, limon is the french word for stringer.
If you can provide your test file, even if the corner tread don't work, I would love to see what the general method is.
Thanks again Paul and good day

Julien

NL4355

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2021, 06:40:53 PM »
For custom kind of stairs I found best solution is Autodesk Revit, where you can literally draw plan of the stairs and create them with parameters. Of course it would be very convenient and great if railclone haы functions, preferably menus for creating different kind of stairs, because stairs is usually pain.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2021, 06:56:14 PM by NL4355 »