Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: material to railclone mesh  (Read 1983 times)

bmlokesh

material to railclone mesh
« on: July 20, 2017, 11:26:38 AM »
Ho do I apply multi sub object material to 3d mesh generated from rail clone

I have generated glass detail with a simple box
I need to assign different materials to different segments

material operator is only giving option of randomizing or sequencing  material IDs

suggest me to assign a fixed material ID to a segment

JTP Vis

Re: material to railclone mesh
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2017, 12:05:54 PM »
Hi,

I would normally set up the base object/objects with all the final materials on first, making sure each different material is applied a different id in the geometry. You can then make a multi-sub material, making sure the ids correspond to the ids you have applied them to, then you can apply the multi-sub to the base objects to test it. So long as it works, you can apply the multi sub to the railclone and it should work.

I hope that helps.

Cheers,

Bill

bmlokesh

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2017, 12:57:34 PM »
thanks for the help

I have created a glass with all the mullions and framework with a single box

I need an option to assign material IDs to each segments generated through transform operator

The resulting mesh needs to have different material IDs.

iToo

• Administrator
    • iToo Software
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2017, 10:25:54 AM »
Hi, you can set a fixed ID to a segment using the Material operator: just set the "From" range to a same value.
For example, Replace Material  ID 1, From 2 to 2, will replace ID 1 with 2. Sequence/Random mode has no effect.

Anyway this should not be necessary. Usually you assign the required IDs in the original geometry.
If you have several objects with their own IDs, and need to create the multisub, an easy way is to attach all objects in an unique mesh. Then, get the multi-sub created by Max, and extract the segments from the elements of the attached mesh. They must have the right's ID, according to the multisub.

Unfortunately it's not possible to assign several materials to a single RailClone object. This is a 3DS Max limitation.

I hope that helps.

Carlos Quintero
iToo Software