Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: RC4 RC5 differences  (Read 522 times)

JG_archviz

• JG
RC4 RC5 differences
« on: December 17, 2021, 10:18:18 AM »
Hello

Just started to install RC5 and were quite surprised to see different results when opening a simple set-up with later applied mesh-editor in RC5

Did some values changed or do i need to alter settings in RC5 to get the same results(vertices/polygons) as in RC4?

Set-up is actually quite simple, 2 segments are distributed in different ways on a spline regarding their MAT-ID ... one as scaled element the other as evenly distributed element.

Would be quite a pain when opening older projects and modify or re-edit the later applies mesh-editor again?

Max version 2020.

« Last Edit: December 17, 2021, 10:31:07 AM by JG_archviz »

Paul Roberts

• iToo Software
Re: RC4 RC5 differences
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2021, 11:39:54 AM »
HI,

Thanks for the feedback. Unfortunately, although we try to make new version of RailClone as much as possible, a major update will sometimes necessitate some changes that may affect styles created with older versions. In this instance, I suspect that it is the fact that in RC4, spline segments with non-matching ID were physically removed. But in RC5 they are skipped. This change was essential to fix a bug, but it may cause slight differences in the resultant mesh.

Thanks for understanding,
Paul
Paul Roberts
iToo Software

JG_archviz

• JG
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2021, 12:05:48 PM »
Thanks for clarifying. I suspected that something was handled differntly.

What exactly do you mean by non-matching ID ? I usually use Splines with different IDs for various segments (not physically detached splines) and sometimes IDs for just a whole spline. But that gives me a bit of freedom to define how a Linea1S will handle things with corners - when i'm not claryfying specific corner-handling by bezir, corner, etc.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2021, 12:12:31 PM by JG_archviz »

Paul Roberts

• iToo Software
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2021, 12:09:29 PM »
Sorry, yes it's exactly that - Using material IDs. I was just referring to how RailClone handles the material IDs assigned to splines internally when it builds the style. There's no need for you to change the way you work with material IDs on splines.

Best,
Paul
Paul Roberts
iToo Software

JG_archviz

• JG
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2021, 12:15:59 PM »
Ok it won't be a problem when working on new projects...

But when opening older Projects, where i don't want to re-edit the later applied edit-mesh it will be a bit tricky. As i need to remember to install RC4 when using older Projects.

Is there a way to handle different installations? maybe with custom Max-startup variables  like with corona-render where you can define if you want to use different versions?

Paul Roberts

• iToo Software
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2021, 12:26:41 PM »
Hi, You can easily install different versions of RailClone to different Max installations. That way you could have RC4 in Max 2021 and Rc5 in 2022 for example.
Paul Roberts
iToo Software

JG_archviz

• JG
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2021, 12:36:57 PM »
Yes I used to do that, but because auf licensing-convention with Autodesk its quite not that easy.
My perpetual maintenance contract run out with 2020 ... so I'm currently working my projects with max2020 and aren't allowed to switch max-versions anymore.

Current Autodesk pricing isn't reasonable enough to run 2 licenses for a one-man studio. Indy-version might be financially reasonable - but then you're not allowed to purchase 2 licenses ... well kinda complicated.
So for a while its ok to work with max 2020 - until there is no support anymore for my usual plugins. which i suspect happens in 2023... but still one or 2 more years to make a decission

JG_archviz

• JG
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2021, 12:50:40 PM »
Anyway.... is there a List on things to consider where RC5 handles things differenlty than in RC4?
So one could easier identify possible problems switching to RC5?

Paul Roberts

• iToo Software
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2021, 02:46:52 PM »
There are many deep changes in a major release. My advice would be to check the improvements and fixes part of the changelog which are generally the parts that could affect previous styles (although as mentioned we try to maintain compatibility where we can)

Best,
Paul
Paul Roberts
iToo Software