Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: Render People with Railclone  (Read 1063 times)

KB2072

Render People with Railclone
« on: September 09, 2017, 02:37:17 PM »
I am trying to use render people models with Railclone for a very small outdoor amphitheater rendering. The  models are distributed per the stadium tutorial, however I have hit a snag with the material assignment (I am using Max 2018.1 with current vray). All the material ID's on the render people are mapped at material 1 as best I can determine. Is there a way I am not seeing to assign a "crowd" material that will follow the render people model, or do I rely on instancing?

Thanks.

Still learning - Robert

Michal Karmazín

• iToo Software
Re: Render People with Railclone
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2017, 11:55:41 AM »
Hi Robert,

Currently, the RailClone object doesn't automatically inherit any of materials used by its Segments and the user is responsible of creating a material and applying it to the RailClone object. In case of having different materials applied to the source geometry, you'll need to create your own multi-sub material, assigning a different material ID to each element and applying it to the whole RailClone object. Please feel free to check more detailed information and examples in the "4 - How to Control Material IDs" chapter of our "Next Steps with RailClone" guide. As mentioned in this related post on our forum: "I would suggest you to check the "Why do segments in RailClone ignore my Materials" article in our Knowledge Base (a recommendable way to create the Multi/Sub-Object material is to Attach all objects into a single mesh / Detach them).""

If you don't want to create a multi-sub object shader and re-assign IDs manually, an easy way to consolidate materials is as follows:

(1) Attach all the objects into a single mesh. Use the default options, so Max creates the multi-sub object.
(2) Detach each object back into separate objects.
(3) Re-adjust the pivots if necessary.

You may find there are some scripts that can make a multi-sub object for you. For example, RappaTools has a Multi-Material from Selection option. This creates a multi-sub object material and automatically reassigns the IDs. Let me add, that's possible to use MultiTexture or VRayMultiSubTex map(s) too.

Hope that helps.

Best regards,