Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: Request - Preserve Parameters if they are valid when loading profile  (Read 2703 times)

Alex.S

I think this might have been requested before, and I don't see a proper requests section?

I'd like to see that if you load a new profile on an existing Railclone object and they share parameters, and the new values are with in the bound limits, to have an option to preserve those values, maybe a popup confirmation perhaps? That would help a lot, just now I've had to refactor a complex armco profile into several smaller ones due to memory issues (i'm hamstrung on 32bit max :( - due to issues with unrelated plugins), and this means I now have to reset the parameters for like 60 objects :(

They all have different parameters so copy settings to won't really work.

Edit: I see the latest beta fixes a bug where when profiles are updated they don't get updated where they are used, but they now reset the parameters in all objects that use that profile?!
« Last Edit: July 08, 2016, 10:32:58 AM by Alex.S »

Alex.S

Re: Request - Preserve Parameters if they are valid when loading profile
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2016, 11:20:59 AM »
On an unrelated note, I appear to have found a bit of a memory leak when it comes to materials.

I created several profiles from the same max file, all using the same material, and when I add these to a new scene the material ram usage was pretty crazy, over 1gb! I've temp fixed it by applying the material locally to all objects, but still it's a bit concerning... I notice there are like 6 different xrefs to the material? I guess pooling those resources is a bit tricky - but I'd assume a material (multimaterial etc) would be imported on a per max file basis rather than max file / object basis?

iToo

• Administrator
    • iToo Software
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2016, 04:25:00 PM »
As you pointed out, in the latest beta we have modified how library works: if a style which is used in the scene is loaded, this is re-applied to all objects with same style.
A problem with that, is how to handle the Parameters: it's possible that you want to update some of them, but keep values for others. Initially, there is no way that plugin know thats.

To solve this issue, we detect what parameters has been modified for the user, and these are not overwritten. But this mechanism works only if the object is edited with the beta (o a later release).
For this reason, now most of your parameters are reset. Once you work with the new version and edit these objects, this problem should not happen.

Regarding materials, RailClone should not create duplicate them. If a material already exists in the scene, the library just uses or replaces it, depending of the option selected here:

Futhermore, the plugin doesn't create XRef materials. These always are imported normally.
Are you using a standard or custom library ? What option is selected for duplicates ?

Carlos Quintero
iToo Software

Alex.S

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2016, 06:18:09 PM »
Ah ok, so should work properly from now on - preserving parameters, yeah I wasn't on the beta before.

I use multi/sub materials with the sub materials that of a custom plugin.

I have it set to replace material from library, I can't show the xref thing as I removed them... I'll grab a screenshot in future.

Alex.S

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2016, 10:26:22 AM »
btw, is it possible to force the resync of a profile somehow? I often have separate max files open and edit profiles as I tweak things...

Thanks.

iToo

• Administrator
    • iToo Software
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2016, 10:39:20 AM »
btw, is it possible to force the resync of a profile somehow? I often have separate max files open and edit profiles as I tweak things...

Just save the scene which is editing the library's style, and reassign it to any of the RC objects in the main scene. That will update all of them.
There is no way to do it by scripting of other methods.
Carlos Quintero
iToo Software

Alex.S

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2016, 12:24:19 PM »
Alright cheers, good to know.

Just noticed today that if you use a surface and use spline mat ids to signify different segments that the surface can reset some segments to an id of 1.

Gave me quite a lot of headaches tbh. Is this known? Anyway to circumvent it? I've tried normalizing the spline down to 1m segs but it still happens.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2016, 12:26:50 PM by Alex.S »

iToo

• Administrator
    • iToo Software
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2016, 12:46:24 PM »
Just noticed today that if you use a surface and use spline mat ids to signify different segments that the surface can reset some segments to an id of 1.

You're right. We're not aware of this issue.

It happens because to adapt RailClone correctly over the surface, it's necessary to generate previously a new spline conformed to the surface. In this process material IDs are lost.
I will check it we can fix it. Meanwhile, you would use our Glue plugin to conform the spline manually, fix IDs and then use it in RailClone.

Carlos Quintero
iToo Software

Alex.S

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2016, 12:55:27 PM »
I already do something similar to this for now, but due to there being differences between the spline, the geometry used in the segments and the surface, this does not work as well, but is ok for now.

Rokas

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2016, 02:31:21 PM »
I need to overwrite all RC objects with parameters from my current style, i tweaked the way I like.  Now I can only do this procedure ONCE.
Rokas

Alex.S

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2016, 05:45:35 PM »
The method of preserving parameters seems inconsistent at present. Sometimes it seems to overwrite back to default params, sometimes it preserves them.... Even when the name of parameters or the bounds of them don't change... But say I add an extra param... some of the others go back to default when they shouldn't?

iToo

• Administrator
    • iToo Software
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2016, 12:16:41 PM »
We're running some tests to check all possible combinations with this feature. Once completed, we'll post the results and of course will fix problems if any.

Thanks,
Carlos Quintero
iToo Software

Rokas

« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2016, 08:39:37 AM »
How is this going? currently this is my biggest issue with RC.
Possible solution:
Create new parameters checkbox like "local" and "global" so global gets inherited when copying styles and local stays by what user specified.
Rokas

iToo

• Administrator
    • iToo Software
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2016, 08:56:45 AM »
There were a couple of bugs which we fixed. For example the "modified" flag was copied from the library style, and was causing the double import issue.
Now it should work much better.

We're compiling a beta version, which will be available today.
Carlos Quintero
iToo Software

Rokas

« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2016, 08:58:58 AM »
Can`t wait to try..  thank You.
Rokas