Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: Custom Wooden Cladding  (Read 1018 times)

ShaneMcG

Custom Wooden Cladding
« on: October 04, 2022, 12:46:39 PM »
Hey there folks,

I am tasked to visualize an object with a wooden cladding, very similar to the one in the image attached:

It will have a custom material, 2 or 3 fixed different widths (tile-Y) and a varying tile lenght (tile-X) - 200-400cm, however gladly randomized as you see on the example above.
The vertical gaps between the elements should be very minimal (1-2mm), while the horizontal gaps should be 1-2cm.
What is the best way to do that - create an array from scratch or try altering one of the existing Cladding templates?

Thanks a lot in advance!
« Last Edit: October 04, 2022, 02:57:43 PM by ShaneMcG »

Michal Karmazín

• iToo Software
Re: Custom Wooden Cladding
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2022, 08:24:24 AM »
Hi,

In my opinion, adapting the bundled “Concrete Cladding Randomized” style as needed should do the job easily.

Best regards,

ShaneMcG

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2022, 09:39:07 AM »
Hey there again.

Thanks for the answer, Michal - I tried adapting a different one, but I'll gladly try it out with the one you suggested!

So, yesterday eve, after finishing the modeling phase, I finally came around to trying to create the array I'm after. At first I tried it building it from scratch, but miserably failed, as expected. So then I tried adapting and existing Cladding Macro and it worked kinda good, but I am still not quite there. Here is the current state (the Max file (v2019) you can find attached):

I know there are more elegant ways to solve this, but I cannot figure them out.

1. I achieved the horizontal randomization I wanted. But how I can I randomize the vertical sequence in a less dull way than what I did above?
2. Is there a more elegant way to solve the corners, rather than the one side overlapping over the other? In the reference the planks seem to be beveled, so that no cut edge is visible (or is the only way to do that to bake the RC geometry and manually cut the edges?

Again, thanks a lot in advance!

Michal Karmazín

• iToo Software
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2022, 11:59:25 AM »
Hi,

Well, if you want to bevel corners, you’ll need a different approach – using a “continuous” Spline instead of Clipping Splines would allow bevelling on corners. In this workflow, openings you can solve by boolean operations. Please find attached the modified scene with this possible solution. I hope you'll find it helpful.

Best regards,

ShaneMcG

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2022, 01:34:51 PM »
Hey Michal,

huge thanks for your help - it is a lot better now!
I have a question regarding the Y-Fixed size, though: I have two fixed widths there - 6,8 and 11,5cm. How can I use only them and not all the size in the range between 6,8 and 11,5cm? Also, how will the randomization work in this case (so that I don't always have a small plank above a wide one, above a small one etc.)?

Thank you once more!

Michal Karmazín

• iToo Software
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2022, 09:51:41 AM »
Hi,

Please excuse the delay. You can randomly alternate between these widths by using a Random Parameter (choosing randomly between 1 or 2) wired to a Selector Operator. I’m attaching the modified scene. I hope that helps.

Best regards,

ShaneMcG

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2022, 11:50:40 AM »
Thank you so much, Michal! If the final results look good (entirely depending on me), I'll make sure to post them, so that people interested can see the script in action.

ShaneMcG

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2022, 05:45:05 PM »
Hey Michal, just came around to take a look at the file resp. try out what you suggested:

Hi,

Please excuse the delay. You can randomly alternate between these widths by using a Random Parameter (choosing randomly between 1 or 2) wired to a Selector Operator.

It doesn't really work, as A Random Parameter seems not "wireble" to the Selector Opertor... =( Am I doing something wrong?

All the best,
Teo

Dragan

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2022, 05:51:17 PM »
On the Selector node export Index parameter and connect the Random numeric.

ShaneMcG

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2022, 06:00:04 PM »
On the Selector node export Index parameter and connect the Random numeric.

Thank you! Tried that, but honestly don'T know what to do with the Selector after that...

What I'm trying to do is to avoid all the other sizes in the range between my Min and Max values for my plank width. I want to only have 6,8 and 11,5 cm plank widths - randomized.
Sorry, is probably easy to do, I just kind wrap my head around how exactly...

ShaneMcG

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2022, 06:08:03 PM »
Nevermind - just found what Michal has done. I just have two different objects for the cladding and he changed it for the one and I looked at the other one...
Sorry, my bad.

Have a good weekend, folks!