Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: Roman blinds Challenge  (Read 1468 times)

Lars Egerrup / LKE Design

• LKE design website
Roman blinds Challenge
« on: November 28, 2018, 10:04:34 PM »
Hi there,
I have a challenge to me  - and anyone else here ...
I need to make some roman blinds - the ones in thin bamboo, the ones that are rolled inside a string, having the rolle in the bottom. See the attached image.
My dream is to do it using railClone, - with possibility for various lengths and "openness", best so that it can be used in multiple windows in various positions.
How exactly to do it is right now  - BLANK -

The challenges I see in this task (at the moment) is  ....
- The roll is changing diameter  and center as the blinds are pulled up and down.
- The string that roles the roll must follow the roll's diameter and position at any
- The string gets longer as the blinds are pulled up

Any ideas????

« Last Edit: November 28, 2018, 10:12:12 PM by Lars Egerrup / LKE Design »
Lars Egerrup
LKE Design

E: Lars@LKEdesign.dk
W: www.LKEdesign.dk

Rokas

Re: Roman blinds Challenge
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2018, 12:20:50 PM »
Please start constructing it and feel free to ask questions- the more specific the better. Also would be best if You could attach Your scene with current style setup.
Rokas

FC1888

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2018, 12:12:45 AM »
I've thought about setting up a Venetian blind using, Railcone before, but never found the time to attempt it.  I imagine it would be a much simpler task to create with Railclone, with parameters to adjust height, width and angle of non fixed slats. Come to think of it, I wonder if the guys at iToo, could produce a library of such things. Anyway,  I agree with  Rokas, to kick this off you should at least have a basic scene and more detailed description of exactly what you intend to do.

That part about the roll of bamboo rods, getting larger as it is rolled up, I would imagine , it  would probably require some quite tricky math to solve that part, since with every turn, the diameter of the bundle of rods would increase and frankly I was never that good at math, so certainly won't be taking you up on this one, but it's a cool idea and good luck.

Lars Egerrup / LKE Design

• LKE design website
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2019, 09:52:37 PM »
OK, at last I got a little time to go further with the rolling blinds thing.

I have partly found a way, but I haven't found THE way yet.

So my new theory is the following:
As mentioned before, the role changes diameter as the curtain gets rolled up and down. Unfortunately it is from the inside and out, and not from outside and in,  and this is exactly what gives all the complications.

SO, I need to have two independant generators (Linear arrays). One for the roll, which is based on a helix and one for the straight part. As the role changes size, the other generator gets moved so that it fits with the outside of the roles diameter.

The two arrays has to work kind of opposite each other, so when the curtain rolles up, the roll  get filled gradually filled with the straws along the helix path, and the straight part will get emptied of straws at the same time. Fortunately there is some newer functions in RC that make this possible, - the Start and End padding in the limits section.

So far so good. I have accomplished that  - HOWEVER I must find a way to turn the roll as it gets filled, so the end is always staying at the same place, connecting to the straight part, - and there I am am BLANK how to accomplish that. At the same time I have no idea how to get the helix roll into a windows setup, - so that I can have individual length of closed curtain in a number of windows. I don't actually know if this is a blind end I am getting into.
Right now I can use it to produce a number of static preset lengths and then put it into another RC setup where I can either randomize it or handle it by paths mat ID.

I have made some screen dumps of my current solution shown with different states of rolling. As you can see the roll's end  doesnt meet the end of the straight part.

Lars Egerrup
LKE Design

E: Lars@LKEdesign.dk
W: www.LKEdesign.dk