Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: rotation problem  (Read 737 times)

atomov

rotation problem
« on: May 15, 2020, 08:50:37 AM »
Hi,

I'm trying to make a 2S array of cylinders and to have each one rotate randomly around pivot. What I'm getting is that when I rotate segments using transform node's random transformation from 0 to 360 segments also move randomly on X and Y. I need them to remain in place, just rotate locally. I've tried it on a linear array and it does the same, why is it doing this?

Dragan

Re: rotation problem
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2020, 10:16:56 AM »
Hi
Problem is usually due bounding box for cylindric.
Try to set fixed size box to cylinders diameter but without "Scale Segment" checked then add a new transform operator with X/Y Alignment set to Pivot and Random Z rotation.

Dragan

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2020, 10:28:11 AM »
Here is the file
For RC4 it is better to use fixed-size parameters+Random numeric usually set to Segment mode because Random Transforms are cumulative and can cause some unexpected behavior unless you know what are you doing :D
« Last Edit: May 15, 2020, 06:09:13 PM by Dragan »

atomov

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2020, 01:29:15 PM »
Hvala Dragane,

This is a fantastic tip. I've noticed that when rotated 45 degrees on Z it looks like bounding box is affecting it but i didn't think of this solution. This is because of new stacking transforms in version 4? I'm sure I did this before with linear arrays but I never had this problem. Thank you very much!

Dragan

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2020, 01:45:53 PM »
Nema na cemu  :D :D
Glad to help.