Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: Bug - Missing objects with clipping area  (Read 1645 times)

katho3d

• 3D Picture Works
Bug - Missing objects with clipping area
« on: July 12, 2018, 12:02:30 PM »
Hello, with the latest RailClone version 3.2 I´ve noticed a problem with 2D Arrays and clipping areas (slice mode).
The area is not filled correctly, randomly objects are missing (Missing_obj_clipping.jpg). With some freeform splines even the complete area is empty.
I´ve attached the testscene.
Thanks, Thomas

katho3d

• 3D Picture Works
Re: Bug - Missing objects with clipping area
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2018, 08:54:06 AM »
I´ve noticed another thing, if I try to drag around any vertex point of the clipping spline in this scene, 3ds max freezes.

Rokas

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2018, 01:21:07 PM »
It is due to internal Max Boolean operation we cant fix.
Anyway, You can get better results when using correct units scale. Also if spline is near scene origin point and not translated far far away.
And last but not least important if spline was cleaner it would help too.

Rokas

katho3d

• 3D Picture Works
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2018, 04:39:44 PM »
Thanks but the scene is already created in real world scales (meters) and the position is because the original scene is very large (several square kilometers), so this can´t be changed.
We have to deal with even larger scenes and it seems like the clipping area feature is barely usable for our productions. Is there no way to fix this? I would really appreciate every improvement.
The only thing I can try is to clean up the spline because this one was just for testing purposes.

katho3d

• 3D Picture Works
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2018, 08:50:04 AM »
Thanks again for the clarification in the last post. Cleaning up the shape and reattaching it to a new editable spline fixed the problem for me. But unfortunately if a shape with more knots is necessary, the whole thing gets unstable again.
So I think an improvement in this area would really make sense. One last question about the slice function, would it be possible to add a feature to cap the sliced geometry? If it´s a boolean operation, that should be possible, right? ;)
And I also have to say, overall I´m really happy with RailClone, it´s a great tool and made things so much easier for us. Thanks for that :)

Rokas

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2018, 04:47:32 PM »
We had capping in beta some time ago but removed this feature due to some issues on some sliced geometry:

Maybe it will be returned in next versions.
Rokas

katho3d

• 3D Picture Works
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2018, 08:03:53 PM »
Sounds good, I really hope for an implementation in the future :)