Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: General questions about RC capabilities  (Read 568 times)

Morne

General questions about RC capabilities
« on: November 19, 2020, 09:25:06 AM »
1) Can I have multiple segments in a Randomize operator lets say 5 segments for example, then expose to the UI a single setting that will adjust to use all 5 for the randomise, or only the 1st 3 or the 1st 4 example?

2) Can I have an Array2S Generator, containing 14 conditional segments, and the segment used will be determined not only by the ID of a X spline segment, but also by the ID of a Y spline segment?
The example below uses only 4 different segments, but imagine there can be 14 or more...
For example the X spline could looke something like this based of spline ID (segements named letters for now)
A A A A A B B B A A C
Then on the Y:
B
C
A
Obviously if the Y line becomes longer with more segments, it can looks like this:
D
C
A
B
B
C
A

The X and Y splines can be MUCH longer, so how to determine exactly which segment will be used. It can not be random

It could look something like:
A A A D A B D B D A C
A C C C A B B B A A C
A D D A A C D B B D B
C A A A A B A B A A C
A A D A A A B B A A C

It can get more complicated with materials. The A on top can have 1 material, while the A at the bottom a different material. Thats why I'm thinking of instead 2 different A's with different material, Just make A with one material, and duplictae it to F for example, only changing its material

Imagine a grid of X 30 and Y 7, how can I determined which segment to use at for example X 25 Y 3?

3) Can I have multiple segments, say for example 10, and then expose to the UI which segment will be used? For example imagine a door, with a door handle. The UI will determine which handle is used on the door, and is not based in anyway on base spline's segment or vertex id or type.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2020, 09:31:13 AM by Morne »

Rokas

Re: General questions about RC capabilities
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2020, 10:40:45 AM »
Hi Morne

1) Can I have multiple segments in a Randomize operator lets say 5 segments for example, then expose to the UI a single setting that will adjust to use all 5 for the randomise, or only the 1st 3 or the 1st 4 example?
1. There is no integrated function but great thing about RC- You can make Your own functions with macro:

2. I could not understand most of the question, I did understand the end:
Imagine a grid of X 30 and Y 7, how can I determined which segment to use at for example X 25 Y 3?
Sure You can control it with selector node and expressions like:
return
if(SegmentXCounter==Input1 & SegmentYCounter==Input2,2,1);

3) Can I have multiple segments, say for example 10, and then expose to the UI which segment will be used? For example imagine a door, with a door handle. The UI will determine which handle is used on the door, and is not based in anyway on base spline's segment or vertex id or type.

Please take a look at the new concept introduced in RailClone 4- RC Spline Modifier with all their benefits.

Hope this helps and You can find solution for Your 2nd question with this information.
Regards.
Rokas

Morne

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2020, 11:45:43 AM »
Thanks Rokas, looking good.

For my 2nd question, Instead of having a single yellow box, placed in a specific place, what I meant was:

currently your screen shot shows a "grid" of segment 11 segemnts in x and 9 in Y
For each of the elements in that Grid, I need to be able to set it to be any of the 14 segments. So instead of just placing that single yellow cube, I need to determine for each position, if that obejct will be A or B oC or D etc

For example I need the bottom row to be something specific, but it needs to be driven by spline id, so also for all the other rows.

The entire thing Array 2S needs to be driven ONLY by 2 splines, with different IDs.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2020, 11:54:46 AM by Morne »

Rokas

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2020, 11:51:25 AM »
Something went short and did not come through:

seems like important sentence ending is missing
Rokas

Morne

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2020, 11:55:17 AM »
oops, pressed enter too quick. I edited original message now to make it more clear

Rokas

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2020, 12:15:30 PM »
For each of the elements in that Grid, I need to be able to set it to be any of the 14 segments. So instead of just placing that single yellow cube, I need to determine for each position, if that obejct will be A or B oC or D etc

Manual for each Of 126? That would be a lot of manual work. That does not seem like the best way....
And if You expect to do that just with splines- I dont see how. X spline can define 1 row. OK , Y spline- 1 Column,OK.  How about the rest?

Much faster to just hand place the items. Maybe even ForestPack can help better with that?
Rokas

Morne

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2020, 12:43:26 PM »
how would you suggest to do it then?

its for a wall cladding system. Bottom cladding will typically start with A, then a B, then C in middle, then B and A again
then row above that will typically entire thing be a D
then next row could be A or B, but rotated, so lets call it E or F

each vertex on the wall lenght spline, would typically be a special kind of vertical join segment

etc

a clipping spline will be used to coutout areas for windows/doors/angled roof

The point is to make it as easy and QUICK for a user to create the wall with cladding, without being an expert in modifying the RC object, but using the UI only
1 spline will define the lenght of the entire wall, while the other will define entire height, with the segments of the spline defining which cladding to use (or at least in my mind thats how I'm thinking towards) I havent actually started to build the system yet, just brainstorming here to see what others might say....

Nothing can be random or justified to more or less, it needs to follow an EXACT elevation

« Last Edit: November 19, 2020, 12:51:23 PM by Morne »

Rokas

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2020, 01:35:50 PM »
In that case I would suggest some variation of this workflow:
Rokas

Morne

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2020, 09:44:34 AM »
Thanks Rokas. Its not exactly what I meant, but thanks anyway, you've given me enough info to think about. I'll revisit this again soon