Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: Smoothing problem on curved splines  (Read 1149 times)

nubo

Smoothing problem on curved splines
« on: April 10, 2020, 03:52:26 PM »
Hi,

I came upon a problem with smoothing while creating rather simple object based on circle splines. As you can see on the attached image i get non smooth result even though the segment object's smoothing groups are properly set, Curve Steps are set to 1024 (!), Vertex Weld is on and set to 0,01cm.
The funny part is that when I convert RC to Editable Poly (or put Edit Poly modifier on top of it) the smoothing gets fixed (see the other attachement).  ;D So it looks like geometry is correct but for some reason RC doesn't join smoothing groups properly. Is there any fix for that?
And another question: If I put Edit Poly modifier on top of RailClone, but don't edit anything do I still loose instancing benefits?

Best Regards,
Przemek

nubo

Re: Smoothing problem on curved splines
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2020, 12:13:11 PM »
Anyone? :)

Rokas

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2020, 01:14:03 PM »
Please attach a maxfile so we can check it.

And another question: If I put Edit Poly modifier on top of RailClone, but don't edit anything do I still loose instancing benefits?
Yes, once You put EditPoly on top You lose instancing benefits.
Rokas

nubo

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2020, 02:05:15 PM »
Thanks Rokas,

Any ideas on the smoothing problem? I've attached maxfile.
I've also noticed that turning off "Use Instancing Engine" solves this.
Does it mean that there may be some bug with instancing engine?
Also in one other scene in which I've been experiencing problems with Scale To Array macro (I posted about it couple of weeks ago), there was "invalid geometric normals" error while rendering (vray) and turning off Instancing Engine fixed that too.

I think that before the last major update (to version 4 ?) there were no such problems.
Giving up on Instancing would be a real drawback especially in huge scenes.  :-\

Rokas

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2020, 05:26:04 PM »
You got it! For this to work You need to weld vertices and that is not possible when using full instancing.
There are some trade-offs in this situation.
Rokas

nubo

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2020, 11:48:33 PM »
Ok, good to know.
Thanks again!