Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: Balcony facade corner problem  (Read 3959 times)

gueria

Balcony facade corner problem
« on: September 02, 2018, 06:02:10 AM »
Hi,

We are currently working on a very large scale development project, where we are extensively using Railclone for modeling procedural buildings.

We are using a few styles (mostly with default segments with adaptive rule and bevel symetric) to populate the site, but in some cases, when we have facades with balconies, there seems to be a problem at the corners when railclone does not cut properly the geometry. Please see attached picture (top view of a simplified scene with the problem).

We thought the problem came when the distance from the corner to the start of the balcony is less than the depth of the balcony so we tried with a compose operator to add some space before and after the segment with the balcony, but it was even worse using this method. Even using count as rule wouldn't avoid the problem. There is always a segment in excess at the corner badly cut

We have a workaround in mind (adjusting directly the segments) but this would require editing many segments and railclone styles, so I thought maybe there is a simple solution .

Also a very important side question, maybe feature request ?  When using a linked styles to a master style, segments are not instanced between master and "slave" railclones"...is there a workaround ? We use linked style in order to specify local parameters, like total height of building or façade style.

I've been scrubbing through your forums in order to plan for this particular project, and all I can say is that honestly, your support is one of the best I had ever seen.

Thank you again for your time.

Rokas

Re: Balcony facade corner problem
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2018, 07:53:54 AM »
Hi

I would suggest another approach- use corner input in Your style, not only default.
Following is corner settings:

Regarding segment instancing- when using function "Copy Style to " instances are maintained.
How are You making slave styles? Using this mentioned function You can recreate already created non instanced styles.
Rokas

gueria

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2018, 12:35:26 PM »
Hi,

As you suggested, adding a small segment in the corned input, solved the problem. Thank you.

For the instance problem, we are using the master style option. I tried with "copy style to", but segments are still loaded multiple times in memory. Yes they are instanced in the sense when you modify one, all slaves receive the modification, but they are not instanced in terms of vray native instances and so are loaded multiple time for each railclone "slave". This is probably a limitation in railclone instancing engine.

This is using vray 3.60, 3ds max 2016 and railclone 3.2.

Again, thank you for your help.

Rokas

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2018, 01:32:28 PM »
You can check if they are instanced using this little script.

Tell me what it says: are they instances, or not? If it says they are instances, how do You know exactly they are not?
Rokas

gueria

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2018, 03:19:40 PM »
I'm checking with the reported "max memory usage for resman" in the vray messages log when using a heavy vray proxy. I also checked the memory usage of the 3dsmax.exe process when using the same object as a standard mesh.

Your script says "All Instances. Good!"...

For the current project, our base segments are very light, so it won't be a real problem. But I thought maybe we could shave off some memory because there is hundreds of buildings.

iToo

• Administrator
    • iToo Software
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2018, 08:49:00 AM »
Hi, currently each RC object keeps its own list of primitives for V-Ray, even if they share the same Max objects. I think that is causing the extra memory.

I just added the issue to our to-do list. We'll check if it's possible to optimize this for next updates.

Thanks.
Carlos Quintero
iToo Software

gueria

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2018, 08:14:48 PM »
Ok, thank you for this clarification.