Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: Crazy Curb  (Read 1788 times)

Bobby Parker

Crazy Curb
« on: April 27, 2016, 06:06:43 PM »
Unless it is a straight line, I am having a heck of a time with curbs. Here is one that I am working on now. Also, it seems like whatever I do, the curb come in pointing in the wrong direction, so I have to flip it, which isn't a problem, but it is strange.

Bobby Parker

Re: Crazy Curb
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2016, 07:23:49 PM »
Now I am getting this.

Paul Roberts

• iToo Software
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2016, 07:45:40 PM »
Hi,

Are you using RailClone 2.6? If so we have identified a bug that can occur that has been reported to affect some of our Kerb styles and other RC objects when there are corner vertices on straight sections of a path. There is a patch that fixes this that you can download here: http://forum.itoosoft.com/index.php?topic=3611.0

If that doesn't help or you're not using RailClone 2.6 if you could upload a sample scene with the problem I'll happily take a closer look at the file,

Many thanks!

Paul
Paul Roberts
iToo Software

Bobby Parker

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2016, 08:02:56 PM »
Thanks, I'll give it a go.

Bobby Parker

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2016, 08:05:37 PM »
What do I do with it?

Bobby Parker

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2016, 08:21:14 PM »
I dropped them all in the root of MAX and it didn't help

Bobby Parker

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2016, 09:08:19 PM »
I tried it again by dropping the compressed file into the root of MAX and expanded it there, but still no good. I tried all the curbs.

Paul Roberts

• iToo Software
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2016, 11:19:14 PM »
Please accept my apologies,  that link was to the wrong patch.  The correct one is here:http://forum.itoosoft.com/index.php?topic=3637.msg14222#msg14222

Thanks,

Paul.
Paul Roberts
iToo Software

Bobby Parker

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2016, 11:42:13 PM »
I accidently posted this to the other thread. But, no, it didn't work. I put the zip file into the root of MAX and unzipped it. Launched MAX as an administrator and this is what I get.

Paul Roberts

• iToo Software
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2016, 12:24:26 AM »
Ok.  Sorry about this.  That patch should be used to overwrite the files in the plugins folder, but if that doesn't work would you mind sending me your max file so I can see what's going on? If you'd prefer not to upload it here,  please send it to support@itoosoft.com and I'll deal with it first thing tomorrow.  Hopefully we can get to the root of the problem.

Thanks,

Paul.
Paul Roberts
iToo Software

Bobby Parker

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2016, 12:34:47 AM »
Better. it's now doing what it started doing, which was flipping around, but at least it isn't blowing up. I'll get you the scene.

Bobby Parker

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2016, 02:00:05 AM »
Here is the file. I also sent it to your support.

https://files.acrobat.com/a/preview/5077a32f-1189-4239-8658-9618b7f27d6d

Paul Roberts

• iToo Software
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2016, 01:22:26 PM »
Hi Bobby.

That banking effect is caused when the base spline changes direction and vertical angle on the same corner. In order for the mitred geometry to align correctly at the corner, the cross section must be rotated. As far as I know it's not possible to bevel that corner in a way that would connect the corner correctly while rotating the segment so that it remain flat. This is also true in real-life. You can see in the image below that Loft and RailClone both handle this the same way:

RailClone does however have a vertical mode, found in the Segment's settings. This will force the segment to remain vertical, deforming geometry where necessary. This will remove the banking effect, but you will find that corners twist to keep the geometry flat.

The easiest way  to fix these issues therefore is to slightly modify the base spline so that it's either flat while turning the corner...

Or curve the corners instead of bevelling them. You can use the Generator's Rules > Fillet Radius setting to do this automatically ...

You'll notice a lot of balustrades on stairs use these two techniques to overcome the same limitations.

I hope that helps, please let me know if you have any further questions.

Many Thanks,

Paul
Paul Roberts
iToo Software

Bobby Parker

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2016, 11:43:51 PM »
Great, good to know.