Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: How to scale the segment object on some areas along the path  (Read 2822 times)

harryhussnu

How to scale the segment object on some areas along the path
« on: December 26, 2014, 02:49:34 PM »
Hi there,

As i am new on Railclone, i got some querries and wanted to ask you guys.

Here is the situation;

We are working on a project, what we need to model surrounding ways by a realistic look. So we need to keep the roads layout similar to reallife.
We got some good results on straight areas, easy to modify and put more detail on. However, on some curvy areas or some local areas on path, we need to do more modifications and we are not able
to do atm.

The road is a highway which has a seperated way in the middle for light transport system. And, there are some signs on that way which has to be shown wider or tighter on spesific locations.
Also we have to do, increase the count of side ways and do further modifications on curved sideways. The same problem is on board for us...

Simply, we need to know if its possible to do scaling on spesific areas on the base spline. If the sideway is the example, we need it to get scaled up on some areas and get scaled down back.
Is that possible?

Here, i am attaching some ss to make u guys understand what i am talking on.

I hope it has a very simple solution and we keep the idea that Railclone rocks!!!

Thank you,

PS: I can attach the maxfile if needed.

iToo

• Administrator
    • iToo Software
Re: How to scale the segment object on some areas along the path
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2014, 05:29:03 PM »
No, sorry. I'm afraid it's not possible to scale along a path.
Although you can modify the RC object once built (i.e. applying a FFD modifier), probably this workaround is not applicable in all cases.

In scenes with complex layouts as this, i guess the best choice is to model the roads using standard Max tools, using RailClone for auxiliary elements (marking lines, fences, lights and so).
As example, i've attached a scene which uses a simple method to build parametrically the middle lines, using clipping areas.
Carlos Quintero
iToo Software

harryhussnu

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2014, 08:47:38 AM »
No, sorry. I'm afraid it's not possible to scale along a path.
Although you can modify the RC object once built (i.e. applying a FFD modifier), probably this workaround is not applicable in all cases.

In scenes with complex layouts as this, i guess the best choice is to model the roads using standard Max tools, using RailClone for auxiliary elements (marking lines, fences, lights and so).
As example, i've attached a scene which uses a simple method to build parametrically the middle lines, using clipping areas.

Thanks for the reply,

Are you going to be implementing this simple but important future anytime soon?

Or may i ask, whats the reason the problem based on "we are not able to do scaling along a path". Simply, we can do scaling on a loft object in 3ds max but we can not do it on RC.

iToo

• Administrator
    • iToo Software
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2014, 09:33:10 AM »
No, i mean it's not possible actually. In fact, this feature was already in the wishlist. However, it involves several technical challenges:

Unlike to loft objects which uses shapes, RailClone generates its geometry from generic meshes (segments).
I think we should use other method to define the scale, instead the curves used by loft objects, because these are innacurate for long objects (as roads).
All features must be compatible with the instancing engines, etc.
Carlos Quintero
iToo Software