Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: max poly limit Rail Clone  (Read 2475 times)

nvarga

max poly limit Rail Clone
« on: January 25, 2019, 09:49:21 PM »
I'm working on a city layout that has 3 rail clone objects driven by splines. Segments are redshift proxies of high-res buildings (5-20 million polys each).

I was able to create a city layout file that was 7 mb, very easy to navigate through and easy to make updates via spline manipulation. I had the display set to adaptive and later points cloud.

When I started a test render I found that I had exceeded the max limits within railclone. Could not render. I tried to increse it to 99million 999 million, 9999 million and would constantly crash the scene.

I then decided to instantiate so I would have the rs proxies instanced in the scene, but found that redshift proxy doesn't instance 1:1 so I had to create decimated meshes to replace the rail clone segments then replace instance to get me back on track with instanced proxies.

Essentially, I would love to keep the rail clone system so the environment can remain procedural and the file could be more optimized.

The main question is: what's up with the max poly limit? shouldn't it be able to support enormous poly counts since I'm using proxies?

I know I'm working with high poly counts, but since the instanced proxies are useable in my scene after the instantiate workaround, I think the problem was within railclone and it's max poly limit.

Any help is much appreciated:)
« Last Edit: January 26, 2019, 02:58:41 AM by nvarga »

iToo

• Administrator
    • iToo Software
Re: max poly limit Rail Clone
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2019, 09:29:21 AM »
Unfortunately Redshift is not support as a native render engine in RailClone, so by default it creates a huge mesh with all the geometry, triggering the limits error.

The only way to render larger objects is using RailClone Tools, instantiating all segments to stand-alone instances.
I've done a quick test using a Redshift proxy, and it seems to work correctly. It creates for each segment a Max instanced node, which keeps the original proxy. Render is fine as well.

Please would you detail about that Redshift doesn't instance 1:1 ?

In any case, we encourage you to write to the Redshift team, requesting they add support for RailClone.
The more customers request it, the more they will be willing to implement it. We already sent to them the necessary tools, and of course we'll be happy to help if needed.

« Last Edit: January 30, 2019, 08:46:38 AM by iToo »
Carlos Quintero
iToo Software

nvarga

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2019, 04:36:00 AM »
I also had to do the workaround of using instantiate, but for me when the segments were rs proxies the instantiate would not create every single instance 1:1.
For example, if I had buildings flowing along a rectangle, instead of getting an instance of every single building, I would only get one rs proxy at the 4 vertexes of the rectangle.

So I had to manualy  replace the rail clone segments with meshes of the RS proxy(decimated) and then I could instantiate the MESH version of the rs proxy and then this would reproduce the rail clone positions exactly 1:1, and then I had to use a script to replace instances of mesh with rs proxy

not a huge deal, but it was an extra step and did take a while to replace the rail clone segments.

I will email Redshift and request they add support for RailClone

Thank you for your response:)

iToo

• Administrator
    • iToo Software
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2019, 09:27:46 AM »
I also had to do the workaround of using instantiate, but for me when the segments were rs proxies the instantiate would not create every single instance 1:1.
For example, if I had buildings flowing along a rectangle, instead of getting an instance of every single building, I would only get one rs proxy at the 4 vertexes of the rectangle.

That's not a normal behaviour.
If you can reproduce the problem in a test scene, please send us the file and we'll check it.

Thanks.
Carlos Quintero
iToo Software

geoff

• Redshift
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2019, 10:44:52 PM »
This has been referenced in Redshift's forums and via customer support.  We are requesting the scene and reproduction steps.

To properly instance a Redshift Proxy requires the INode pointer.  Any mesh returned by our proxy object is purely for display purposes.  At present we provide three display options: points, bounding box, and preview mesh.  Apart from bounding box, it's possible that the preview modes lead to excessive meshing in Rail Clone.

Unfortunately Redshift is not support as a native render engine in RailClone, so by default it creates a huge mesh with all the geometry, triggering the limits error.

Can you please clarify?  That sounds like behavior that might result from using 3ds Max's GetRenderMesh() method, which we don't call for Rail Clone.

In any case, we encourage you to write to the Redshift team, requesting they add support for RailClone.
The more customers request it, the more they will be willing to implement it. We already sent to them the necessary tools, and of course we'll be happy to help if needed.
We already translate RailClone objects into Redshift via the RailClone API.  As per the instructions, we first gather all Meshes from RailClone via IRCInterface::IRCGetMeshes, and then iterate via RCGetInstances.  All instances associated with a single mesh are instanced in Redshift via a Point Cloud.

« Last Edit: January 29, 2019, 10:46:28 PM by geoff »

iToo

• Administrator
    • iToo Software
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2019, 08:46:10 AM »
Hi Geoff,

Thanks for the clarification and sorry by the confusion.
Our documentation was not updated, and i though that Redshift didn't have support for RC. We'll update it.

Initially everything seems correct. We must check the scene to see what is the problem exactly.
Carlos Quintero
iToo Software