Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: odd sized segment distribution - vertex behaviour  (Read 733 times)

Rio

odd sized segment distribution - vertex behaviour
« on: July 08, 2021, 03:55:39 PM »
I'm trying to create a facade with as few unevenly sized segments. I tried to get it to work with adaptive spacing, but could not as the numbers don't turn out right on one side or another as I increase and decrease the segment size. My second option I thought was to break the base spline in to segments and change spacing mode to 'count' with value of 1.

The problem comes bcause I need a gap between each segment. I made this with padding on the geo segment and filled it in at the corners with a corner piece with the same amount of neggative padding.

When I insert vertexes in to the base spline they aren't recognised unless the come under my definition of a corner - in which case they, obviously, insert a corner segment.

The only way I can seem to get it to work is to break the spline up in to seperate splines, which seems less than ideal.

Is there a more sensible way to approach this?

Rio

Re: odd sized segment distribution - vertex behaviour
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2021, 03:57:41 PM »
sorry, here it is whith wat I'm trying to match

Rokas

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2021, 09:06:19 AM »
Hi. I have read Your description 3 times, opened both files, but cant really understand what is the issue here. Would You please create one max file with target reference and Your startstyle, which have some trouble compared to reference?
Rokas

Dragan

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2021, 11:59:15 AM »
Hi. I have read Your description 3 times, opened both files, but cant really understand what is the issue here. Would You please create one max file with target reference and Your startstyle, which have some trouble compared to reference?
+1

Rio

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2021, 07:18:36 PM »
Sorry, see attached. Basically I need the corners mitred and the central columns with the shadow gap at each vertex position on the basespline.

Pretty sure this can be done with the markers workflow, but it would take an age to set up in this case.

Dragan

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2021, 04:43:54 PM »
Hi
Since your corners will not be at 90 deg. You can set your spline vertex as:
- Bezier Corner for the shadow gaps
- Corner for corners

Then in the main Generator make a empty/null space for corners by adding Conditional operator to check the type of vertex.
Use another Generator to add corners Segments.

This is just an idea so you can play with it...

Note: Set the X Fixed Size for the NULL segment in Compose to control the Gap width.

« Last Edit: July 10, 2021, 04:46:05 PM by Dragan »

Rio

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2021, 10:47:11 AM »
Brilliant, slightly different setup gets me there but conditional operator is the one.

Thanks.

Rio

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2021, 11:17:28 AM »
Sorry, one more thing. I'm using Bevel corners in Symetrical mode to make the corners and also to created the shadow gaps.

This doesn't look like the correct behaviour from what I can understand of the user docs. Shouldn't the parts either side of the vertex be mirrored?

Edit: nevermind, I set the BC offset to 50% and that seems to get the result I need. Goignt o have to school up on these basics.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2021, 12:11:43 PM by Rio »