Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: Trying to create squares of houses / help needed  (Read 1215 times)

Screenscene vfx

Trying to create squares of houses / help needed
« on: August 11, 2016, 05:37:07 PM »
Hi All,
Quick question, I'm trying to generate grid plan of a city, and would love to have all buildings with fixed offset from each other and no intersections or slices, Im attaching screen grab and max file,
Any help much appreciated,

Cheers,
Chris

Paul Roberts

• iToo Software
Re: Trying to create squares of houses / help needed
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2016, 07:22:14 PM »
Hi Chris,

Please take a look at the attached file. It's a tricky problem to solve because adaptive and count modes, which would normally be used to ensure that segments fit exactly inside the length of a spline section, do not work when the segments are all of different lengths on the X axis. Instead I've created a version that detects if a segment will extend beyond the end and if so it will be rescaled to make sure if fits exactly. This only affects the last segment along each side. I've added a minimum length setting too that you can adjust so that you don't end up with tiny buildings in the corner, and an adjustable spacing parameter. Here's how it looks on your spline...

I've added notes to the graph  to help explain what each node is doing but please let me know if you have any questions.

Many thanks!

Paul
Paul Roberts
iToo Software

Screenscene vfx

Re: Trying to create squares of houses / help needed
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2016, 03:23:50 PM »
Hi Paul,
Thanks a mill, thats brilliant!

Much appreciated,
Chris