Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: tutorial on flooring, planks chevron etc.  (Read 354 times)

grue

tutorial on flooring, planks chevron etc.
« on: January 03, 2023, 06:32:34 PM »
hello.  i'm looking at the tutorial on creating flooring and trying to adapt it so that instead of using a 1/2 plank and a full plank, i'm using text with an extrusion.

also, instead of trying to sequence on 2 objects, i'd like to do 3.

the idea is, i have a stair railing and instead of vertical or horizontal posts i'm attmpting to use phrases.  3 phrases (see screen shots).

i'd like it to start out at the top with "mechanical", then "weanswertoyou", then "creatingcustomersforlife" - and it'd be great if they "wrapped" around from line to line so that each line of text is not the same thing repeated from left-to-right.

like i said, the sequence of the 1/2 plank and full plank in the tutorial seems to get me close, but i'm wondering how to switch that over 3 planks/objects.

thanks!

grue

Re: tutorial on flooring, planks chevron etc.
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2023, 08:15:07 PM »
i ended up doing this and it seems to work out ok

nubo

Re: tutorial on flooring, planks chevron etc.
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2023, 05:35:17 PM »
The easiest way would be to add 'random parameter' to 'fixed X translation' with negative to zero value range, generated on Y row. To avoid having the other end of the row empty you need to add some value to 'expand' in clipping area options.
This way you also get more randomized pattern than the one with the halves of segments.