Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: Two problems - corner in array, bad object flow in array  (Read 4761 times)

MH4288

Two problems - corner in array, bad object flow in array
« on: May 04, 2014, 11:44:26 AM »
Hi,

I have two problems with Array 2S generator. Both scenes in attachements.

1. I made two splines and just try to use Array 2S generator. But object dont stay with both splines, only with one and second seems rotated in RailClone. Objects flow down and not on sides, where spline goes.

2. Is there a way, how to put objects in corners in Array 2S generator like in Linear 1S. Corner input is missing and I think I cant use Linear 1S for corners, because it dont consider lenght of the second spline.

Thanks for answer. Iam writing an article about RailClone, so I want to clear this, thanks.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2014, 02:51:37 PM by MH4288 »

Paul Roberts

• iToo Software
Re: Two problems - corner in array, bad object flow in array
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2014, 03:00:28 PM »
Hi,

Thanks for contacting us with these queries.

1. I made two splines and just try to use Array 2S generator. But object dont stay with both splines, only with one and second seems rotated in RailClone. Objects flow down and not on sides, where spline goes.
There are a couple of things that will help with this style:
  • In your example you have the longer path in the Y input slot and the arch in the X. I would reverse these so that the long path is connected to the X input and the arch in the Y
  • When using a spline in the Y input of an A2S array it gets the shape from the local XY coordinates or the spline object based on the view used when created. The Z axis is ignored. I'd therefore create the spline in a side viewport or rotate the spline object so that the local axis aligns as in the image below.

2. Is there a way, how to put objects in corners in Array 2S generator like in Linear 1S. Corner input is missing and I think I cant use Linear 1S for corners, because it dont consider lenght of the second spline.

At present this is not supported using the A2S generator - we have partially developed this feature, but unfortunately we found many unique situations that could not be resolved, so internally it is disabled. We hope to continue working on this for future updates. In the meantime there are a few alternative approaches depending on your situation:

• Break the spline at the corners and use the A2S array's Start and End inputs to add corners. This post may help with this approach.
  • In the example attached I've used your Y spline as the path for a second RailClone object to create a post. This is then nested inside the original object, wired to the corner input on an L1S array. As the Y spline changes both RailClone objects will update. This will only work if there is no problem with some intersecting geometry on the corners and as long as the Y Spline remains straight
  • Depending on the style you may be able to build the whole thing using an L1S array and export the Z Scale to change the height of the segments. This post describes how to use a single spline to define the length and height of an L1S array by scaling planks to fit between the spline's z position and RailClone's local pivot point
I hope that helps, please let me know if there's anything else I can help with.

Many thanks,

Paul
« Last Edit: May 04, 2014, 03:09:34 PM by Paul Roberts »
Paul Roberts
iToo Software

MH4288

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2014, 05:59:30 PM »
Thanks a lot, great.

I have one more problem about smoothing segments together. Vertex merging didnt help so I wonder if its possible.

Paul Roberts

• iToo Software
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2014, 07:21:54 PM »
Hi,

The Vertex Weld function currently only works with segments that are in the same row, I have added a note to our system to see if this can be extended to include segments above and below too. It is important to note however that this feature will only work when Use Native Render Shaders is switched off, limiting your ability to render huge poly counts. 

The visible seams are caused by placing individual elements adjacent to one another on a curved surface: you get the same problem if you split edges on a sphere primitive. Despite this you will probably find that when simple shaders and lights have been added to the scene the seams mostly disappear when rendered. The effect is often much more pronounced in the viewports.

Hope that helps.

Many thanks,

Paul
Paul Roberts
iToo Software

MH4288

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2014, 07:32:22 PM »
Sorry, but where is Use Native Render Shaders option?

Paul Roberts

• iToo Software
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2014, 07:37:39 PM »
My Apologies it is called Use Geometry Shader. It's in the Display rollout, it was already off in your sample scene.

Thanks,

Paul
Paul Roberts
iToo Software

MH4288

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2014, 10:58:36 PM »
Oh, ok.

I try to put a VRay shader on object and seems disapear only with bump map on. If its clear with glossy reflection, its visible. I try to look like glass, but curved without seems or linear lines. Its a problem without welding.

Paul Roberts

• iToo Software
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2014, 08:59:18 AM »
You're right in this case the seams do show, in this scenario another option would be to add a Vertex Weld modifier to the RailClone object and set the threshold value very low to avoid welding unwanted vertices.

I've added welding on the Y axis to our feature requests, I'll update this thread to let you know if it's possible.

Many thanks,

Paul
Paul Roberts
iToo Software

MH4288

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2014, 10:50:15 AM »
Thank you a lot.

Now I write an article about RailClone, so I mention about great support :-)