Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: compose operator to combine an object into a single object  (Read 1440 times)

CM1164

Hi guys, love railclone!

we work on lot of large scale architectural visualization projects and railclone is very often used for facades.

right now, for example, if i have a balcony and a balustrade, and i want to "combine" two objects into a single object.

say balcony is 4m wide, and balustrade is also 4m wide (as they are part of a single apartment balcony).

right now, only way i can come up with is to use a compose operator to have combine balcony and balustrade.
and when i do this, balustrade is "added on" after balcony, so i end up having 4m balcony and 4m balustrade making 8m long object.
what we currently do is to make balcony right padding into -3.999m, pulling the balustrade in by 3.999.  i wish i could just give it -4m, but it seems railcone do not like having 0 width object, and the whole array won't work.

visually this is "acceptable" but i end up with combined object that is 4.001m long. 

not sure if there is a better way, where i can actually have objects that can have "0"m width  so i can combine it to a master object.

if there is a better way, plesaes let me know ; )

Thanks team!

Michal Karmazín

• iToo Software
Re: compose operator to combine an object into a single object
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2016, 12:56:02 PM »
Hi,

Multiple generators (L1S Generators / A2S Generators) can be handled within the style (RC object). If there is no special need to do that in one generator, I would suggest you to use one for balcony and another one for the balustrade (both of them can be wired to the same base spline).

Hope that helps.

Best regards,

mindmedicine

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2016, 10:39:15 AM »
In this case, using separate generators is a valid and simple solution to this particular (simple) problem. But in a lot of other, more complex cases, this approach won't hold up.
So a more simple/intuitive way to combine/nest multiple objects, hierarchies,  maybe even generators (within one style) would be desirable and would make RC even more powerful than it already is.

Slightly related:

A way to "flatten" transforms would be very welcome. Even with multiple transform-nodes after each other, there's no real way to change the pivot of the segment (outside the options in alignment).
Try moving a segment up (Z) with first transform node, and then rotating it along the Y-axis with a second transform. The segment keeps it's original pivot, so it doesn't rotate around the base-spline, which would be sometimes desired.

The option to "Reset xform" in the transform node or even as a separate node would go a long way already.

Cheers,
Tim

JG_archviz

• JG
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2016, 05:31:45 PM »
I'd like to come up with that topic again.

Right now i need to create more real Segments to creat some of those simple Linear1S Facades i'd like to work with.

Usually Window_Typ1(without ballustrade) then Window_Typ2(without ballustrade) and then both with Ballustrades .... it would be better to have a "compose/combine" funktion where you put you segments based on their "alignment"-definition. instead of Ordering it one after the other. I'd rather alter their position by a transform node with real values (as like transform xyz 4m instead of padding 3.999). Mostly my facades varies between different Window Types between ground floor and other levels... but some parts as Ballustrades keep the same on upper floors.

To create more and more nested RC-definition would be quite to complicated for such simple tasks.

Usually i create Splines with different MAT-ID to define the type of Facade per Level ...so i can just stack some Splines to get my desired Facade. Usually id1 for wall type and different id2-x for different Window-openings.
A 2DS defintion would become to complicated to create various Facade patterns .... you need to code more, than neccissary to get fast simple results.

could you either introduce a more simple way to compose several segments into one "object" you then introduce to further handling. Or either could you make an tutorial how you handle this kind of "coding" as simple as possible?

iToo

• Administrator
    • iToo Software
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2016, 08:51:47 AM »
could you either introduce a more simple way to compose several segments into one "object" you then introduce to further handling. Or either could you make an tutorial how you handle this kind of "coding" as simple as possible?

Hi, we are working on this feature. We must do many tests yet, to be sure it works as intended, but i hope it's included in RailClone 3.

Thanks,
Carlos Quintero
iToo Software